Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

OK... I am still in search of some hens who are prone to broodiness other than the silkies... I have some BA and BRock chicks, hopefully at least 2 of each will end up being hens (but no way to know if they will ever be broody either).... but looking at some other large fowl breeds also. I have seen mention of the JG's being broody prone, along with BO's and Cochins, and Dorking. Anyone have experience with these breeds and if their advertised 'broody tendancies' are accurate or is it a case of '1 out of 10 goes broody, so they are considered broody prone'

I don't need every hen we own to be a broody, but would like at least a few to be that way.

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Cochins are a good choice....

3. fisherlady

Sally! You are killing me with those baby pics! Those are about the cutest ever and I am a sucker for the blue babies anyway! Quit it or Radioman and I will be getting more chicks!

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    LOL! See my previous post about cochins being a good choice.... [​IMG]

5. fisherlady

Exactly!! I have a hard enough time resisting the urge to get more chicks yet, then she goes and posts pics like that! OMG! I am doomed! [​IMG][​IMG]

and to make it worse, he would probably love them too! He is kinda fond of the ones we have <insert phrase 'understatement of the year' here>

6. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I need to take my new coop apart. DH screwed up the first one, and I swore he wouldn't touch this one. Well... It happened. Now I keep seeing things that are not working. If he weren't so darn strong (some of the screws did NOT want to go in!!) I never would have let him near it!
    LOL! I went to the paint store, and the kid behind the counter told me to bring the coop inside to paint. Anyone ever bring a building inside a building?[​IMG][​IMG]
    Beta, I have spent 10 months trying to get everything moved to the new house. I have begun to just throw things in the car every time I go over. When the weather breaks, I am renting a U-Haul in town, and packing it as I go.
    Blade, (I think it was you) you asked about bantams vs. LF when getting extras. I would go with the LF you want, and just be sure to swap the extras within about 4-6 months. Or you can build another coop when the weather warms up! The birds will be small enough until then. And as long as they get to go outside come May, crowding shouldn't be an issue.
    Organized bird swaps will start by then too, so if you don't want the extras, you can get rid of them all at once there.

7. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Patrickschicks,

Did anything ever come of the possibility of getting those kennel panels from Craigslist? If so, I'm still interested in the gates.

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you are
    what? cant hear you????

[​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] RadioMan,

OMG, Omg omg (spoken in a teenage voice too) you should see the awesome flies the black and blue COCHIN make!!! To just DIE FOR!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by