Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I guess I should have added that the lumber should build me at least a 12x30 shed (framed). I will have to find a way to side it. I really want a 14x40-60 shed. Oh well. I have 3 telephone poles coming from my mom's boyfriend, too.

Thanks, Sally! They are my blue/splash wheaten & wheaten Ameraucana eggs from last year. Their daughters lay the same gorgeous color. Shame my roo has a single bearded gene and he's passing it on to his daughters. I had to get a new roo. He's not the best, but he'll do. I ordered 20 wheaten chicks from Paul Smith and I hoping to get one or 2 really nice roos from them.

Last edited:
My mom's boyfriend owned a boat. Some guy that I married decided he wanted the boat. I said no, I wanted his rough cut lumber for a new coop. My mom's boyfriend said buy the boat the wood is free! So, $350 later, the guy I married is happy and I am happy.

-insert dramatic music here-

Until he realizes he can't touch boat unless he helps build new coop. Mwhahaaa! No labor, no fishing! I'll go without him (and my new helper)!

The end.

:lau

So how are those baby Cochins u got the other day? Forget what color did you get? Also did you get your blacks you wanted? Hope all is well

I guess I should have added that the lumber should build me at least a 12x30 shed (framed). I will have to find a way to side it. I really want a 14x40-60 shed. Oh well. I have 3 telephone poles coming from my mom's boyfriend, too.

Thanks, Sally! They are my blue/splash wheaten & wheaten Ameraucana eggs from last year. Their daughters lay the same gorgeous color. Shame my roo has a single bearded gene and he's passing it on to his daughters. I had to get a new roo. He's not the best, but he'll do. I ordered 20 wheaten chicks from Paul Smith and I hoping to get one or 2 really nice roos from them.

Wow ur moms bf really is a keeper right? He def helps you with your addiction! Good people to keep around :)

I hatched one MFC 3 weeks ago - going great. I hatched another 2 days ago, also great. I didn't get any new Cochins other than them. My latest purchase was the bantam chocolate Orps who are fast become my faves! I did not get my black yet. I contacted Jaime Matts and he has a trio but now I am not sure what is up with John Burgess. I need to make sure I have enough money for all these blacks I want/need! This boat did not help. There's my trio and quad money. =/ I only bought it for the wood and they really needed the help.

He picks on me about my chickens. He isn't like my mom and he doesn't harp on me about them. He understands they are a hobby. I could be doing way worse things than raising chickens (alcohol, drugs, gambling)... At least I make a little money off my birds. Never enough to break even, but some. ;)

ETA: OH! I forgot about the buffs from TSC! They are doing great, too! I was like... "What new Cochins?" Pfft. I am losing my mind.

Last edited:
I thought u said you picked up some at Tractor supply! Sorry, my mistake!
Well I hope you get what you are looking for! Or more shall I say!! Never too many Cochins!!

I did! I forgot about them! I edited my original post saying I forgot about them! All three are doing well. I think only one is a pullet though - based on feather growth. We'll see. I am not counting my pullets until they are 6-8wks old! LOL!

No, this would be our first show, so clueless here....

Welcome to showing!!
Things absolutely needed to enter show-
1; Blood test your birds. This is required to prevent the possible spread of Avian Influenza and Pollorum. It is recommended to send a copy of the testing along with your entry, but if you can't make it by then, bringing it to coop in should be fine! If you've never tested your flock or you're not a certified tester, find a local poultry technician to test for you :)
2; Fill out and entry form/Pay entry fees. If you have any questions for filling these out, feel free to ask away!
Show info is easily available here-
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/York_County_Poultry_Fanciers.html

You must have your birds cooped in by 9 am on Saturday!!

Things recommended for entering the show-
1; Wash your birds! This can make all the difference in the end! Clean birds are winning birds. Also, touching up combs and wattles with baby oil or petroleum jelly makes them seems brighter and healthier. Don't forget to file down beaks and nails after bathing
2; Spray your birds! It's absolutely unbelievable the amount of external parasite problems picked up at even the little local shows! Spraying birds down lightly with something that will kill and prevent mites and lice will save you the trouble of dealing with infestation at a later date.
3; If you haven't already, Obtain a Standard of Perfection. This book is the poultry showman's creed! It's HIGHLY helpful!

~Showmanship~
What is showmanship?
Showmanship is probably one of the most intimidating thing known to man! :lol: Competators dress up a bit, grab their trusty feathered companions, and appear before a judge. The judge, usually an APA poulty judge, proceeds to ask you questions, inquire about your bird, and generally test your knowledge and confidence as a showman. You are then placed according to your performance. The breed/type of poultry does not matter. You can still compete with your one-winged, one-eyed 15 year old mutt chicken for all the judge cares. As long as you have a basic concept as to the origin of your bird, the judge can work with that. Before you participate in showmanship, do heavy research on the bird you are using! It's highly possible he or she WILL ask breed/species related questions according to your specific bird! After researching your bird, general knowledge is what he's looking for. Mostly basic stuff for the younger crowd. What us your birds name, what breed is it, what variety is it, where does the breed come from, what class is it in, what is another breed in your class, etc. He may also ask questions that are Feed related, Incubation related, Basic diseases and parasites, just basic poultry stuff :) Googling "first year showmanship questions" and printing off a couple lists might help cover what he may ask. Best of luck! I'll probably be entering showmanship too, but I'll probably be stuck in the super challenging senior class :lol: Phooey!

Good evening everyone I have to lovely blue laced red Wyandottes that are 7 weeks old I am looking to rehome. I will be going to the show in York if anyone is interested in purchasing them I can deliver. Here is pictures of the two.

Please pm me if interested.

Alright, so my best friend's birthday is coming up
lol.png
Well, being a well affiliated enabler, this provides the perfect opportunity for attack! (she's also a poultry lover!) Her secret bday present
gig.gif
(Ignore Duke the photo-bomber
roll.png
He's fallen hopelessly in love with the new quackers and won't leave their side)
Just so ya know, my b-day is in September :D

Back
Top Bottom