Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Not so weird! We like our honey bees also... right now we don't have a good place for them, but they are on our list! When I was growing up my dad had 3 hives behind our place. When he would 'smoke' the bees to clean hives out or collect honey frames it was my job to run the frames down to the house (about a hundred yards or so) for my mom to put them into a big canning pot she'd have on the stove. She would melt the combs, skim off the wax, pour the honey through cheese cloth into jars and set them into the cupboard.
    I know I loved the different flavors we would get depending on the time of year we collected the honey and even some years tasted different when it was really wet or dry.

In all the years I did that I can only remember being stung a few times (maybe 3 or 4?). Now if you are talking yellow jackets.... they are a whole different ball game!! Horror stories there!

2. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I would love to have bee hives, but that is one thing I have some allergy to - stings. Oh well.

3. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    must get ready for work....I dread the 6 to 6 shift.....glad it is only 2 days this week..

5. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    [​IMG]
    The latest additions to our farm!! 2 black ewes! Mommy is doing great and is so patient with me handling the babies. Good mothers are worth their weight in gold... :)

6. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    I want to hug them !!! [​IMG]

7. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    come on over! they are only about 4 hours old!

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Awww ~ [​IMG]

9. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy was following the females around and showing off!! I think since he was doing it near my pheasants cage that it made the male pheasant jealous... and the pheasant stared yelling and getting poofy haha!

10. annie82005

annie82005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by