Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Just out of curiosity, what kind of logs are used for mushrooms? If you say pine or spruce or fir, I could be in trouble.

2. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Depends on hubby, whether it's safe to bring him. You could easily spend the whole day (and a whole paycheck if you like) here. If he's patient while you ponder the subtle nuances of different varieties of herbs before just buying one of each, than bring him along. If he's going to shift from foot to foot and whine about no tractors to look at, or if you can stop for ice cream on the way home, or it it's time to go yet, well, the decision is yours. [​IMG]

This is the kind of event where people bring little red wagons to tote their purchases.

Mushroom logs range from $8-16 dollars depending on size and how many plugs they are innoculated with. The oyster mushroom logs should give fruit this coming fall. the shiitakes take longer and won't do anything til next spring. I will have a better selection on Friday than on Saturday.

3. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Oysters do best on poplar, shiitakes on oak.

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I'll be setting my first goose eggs ever in the morning. Received 9 of them today (and 4 turks and movies and my turner timer motor). Waiting for UPS to bring another box so I can crank out some more soap. Honeysuckle, vetyver, witches brew and lavender will be made today. :D

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

How big are the logs and do you ship? Do you ship just the inoculated plugs? I have 10 acres of oak and poplar trees!!

6. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    Question for the green thumbs on here. I am trying to use mostly heirloom seeds for my garden this year. What is a good place to get seeds? Have you seen any one who sells started heirloom veggies?

7. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    sending good luck !!!!!

8. chiques chicks

Oh well, I do have five pin oak to drop this year...

9. chiques chicks

Landis valley. See previous discussion.

10. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by