Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks!
    It is (until the ducks dont want to go home! Lol).
    And no problem I love sharing my pictures [​IMG]

2. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Merricks is the biggest issue usually brought in by wild birds. And I don't vaccinate for anything they don't need.

3. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    what age should I vaccinate? they are only 2 weeks old, one is 1 week.

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Glad you did share! Looks like an awesome place to spend an evening. Radioman and I would spend all of our time out in the canoe tossing jitterbugs if we had that in our backyard! Feel free to share pics anytime!
    I am relatively new to all of this... but I would at least wait the amount of time needed to worm the chickens if they come from sources I'm not very, very sure of. Even though the big diseases may show quickly I would rather worm any new birds before adding them into the yard area just to avoid parasite issues which may not cause great harm, but sure don't help a flocks general health! Most wormers need a couple weeks to clear the system (I go by the recommended egg disposal time) so I don't want to mix them in and not know which eggs need pitched, if nothing else.
    So total seperation for the two weeks or so for worming and general watching for health issues, and another two weeks of seperation within sight/sound of each other but seperated by fencing, as a start on introduction.
    But then again, I am not dealing with birds for show or pure bred/ expensive breeding stock. I believe that would cause the need for a different approach. Especially with the testing and such needed for show birds.
    Ultimately we all need to decide what we each are most comfortable with and what we can reasonably do with our property set ups and flock dynamics. We all have different opinions on the risk/reward balance...

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Yep! They are EE/OE

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Well after loosing an entire flock last year just as I was getting started I will never again introduce birds to my existing flock without waiting AT LEAST a full 30 days. Those same experts will tell you not to worry about MG because "everybody has it in their flock". I chose to be safe rather than lose all of my birds.

7. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    If I didn't already have a stomach bug, I would be sick to my stomach this morning. Went out to let the chickens out and found My favorite pekin duck, 2 young turkeys and one RIR (who stays outside with the ducks and turkeys) killed. The turkeys didn't have much damage, the RIR had his neck chew out, and most of the ducks neck and chest were gone. Could not find any signs that anything broke into my run. Don't know what to do. I guess I am going to have to force the rest of the ducks and turkeys to sleep inside. I am down to 1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 2 turkeys.

8. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    So sorry! :(

9. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    So, I think I am going to try to build a chicken tractor today to use for quarantine. Then I can also use it for a broody house or grow out pen. Was thing of using a pallet for the base of the house. How tall should I make it though?

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Make it whatever it takes to be easy to clean out because you will want to clean thoroughly between batches:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by