Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I can't get over how much she loves the chickies!!!

I was the same at her age! Couldn't keep me from my uncle's chicken coops! Brace yourself for an itty bitty silly chicky child! XD where in fawn are you!? I'm down on 425 a bit, past torbert and on the left! I scan yards when I drive through town for you and yours lol!
Enjoy the weather!

If I didn't already have a stomach bug, I would be sick to my stomach this morning.  Went out to let the chickens out and found My favorite pekin duck, 2 young turkeys and one RIR (who stays outside with the ducks and turkeys) killed. The turkeys didn't have much damage, the RIR had his neck chew out, and most of the ducks neck and chest were gone.  Could not find any signs that anything broke into my run. Don't know what to do. I guess I am going to have to force the rest of the ducks and turkeys to sleep inside. I am down to 1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 2 turkeys.

I am so sorry...

If I didn't already have a stomach bug, I would be sick to my stomach this morning. Went out to let the chickens out and found My favorite pekin duck, 2 young turkeys and one RIR (who stays outside with the ducks and turkeys) killed. The turkeys didn't have much damage, the RIR had his neck chew out, and most of the ducks neck and chest were gone. Could not find any signs that anything broke into my run. Don't know what to do. I guess I am going to have to force the rest of the ducks and turkeys to sleep inside. I am down to 1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 2 turkeys.
hugs.gif
that is one of the most sicking things, to lose to the wild critters. so sorry

what age should I vaccinate? they are only 2 weeks old, one is 1 week.

Did you hatch them yourself or get them from like TSC? If you bought them at TSC or a Mill, they came from a hatchery, and were already vaccinated.

If I didn't already have a stomach bug, I would be sick to my stomach this morning.  Went out to let the chickens out and found My favorite pekin duck, 2 young turkeys and one RIR (who stays outside with the ducks and turkeys) killed. The turkeys didn't have much damage, the RIR had his neck chew out, and most of the ducks neck and chest were gone.  Could not find any signs that anything broke into my run. Don't know what to do. I guess I am going to have to force the rest of the ducks and turkeys to sleep inside. I am down to 1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 2 turkeys.

Oh, I'm so sorry...I hate death in any form...but that just turns your stomach, I know.

So, I think I am going to try to build a chicken tractor today to use for quarantine. Then I can also use it for a broody house or grow out pen. Was thing of using a pallet for the base of the house. How tall should I make it though?

Go back through the thread to find Sally. Once you find one of her posts, there's a link in her siggy for her Pallet Haus and how to build. But yes, you definitely want to make it easy to clean if you're going to use it for quarantine & broodies! Don't want to infect momma and brand new babies.

If I didn't already have a stomach bug, I would be sick to my stomach this morning. Went out to let the chickens out and found My favorite pekin duck, 2 young turkeys and one RIR (who stays outside with the ducks and turkeys) killed. The turkeys didn't have much damage, the RIR had his neck chew out, and most of the ducks neck and chest were gone. Could not find any signs that anything broke into my run. Don't know what to do. I guess I am going to have to force the rest of the ducks and turkeys to sleep inside. I am down to 1 pekin, 2 mallards, and 2 turkeys.
That is just horrible, and I'm pretty sure I would have thrown up on the spot. SoooSorry
hugs.gif
Wild animals
somad.gif
!!!

So sorry eweaber. What kind of predator could get in like that and do that damage without you seeing the entry point?

Cskotek, great pictures. Very cool.

Did you hatch them yourself or get them from like TSC? If you bought them at TSC or a Mill, they came from a hatchery, and were already vaccinated.
Oh, I'm so sorry...I hate death in any form...but that just turns your stomach, I know.
Go back through the thread to find Sally. Once you find one of her posts, there's a link in her siggy for her Pallet Haus and how to build. But yes, you definitely want to make it easy to clean if you're going to use it for quarantine & broodies! Don't want to infect momma and brand new babies.

Thanks! Speaking of Sally, where is she?

I have 30 pekin eggs sitting here if you would like some to hatch to replace some of your flock. You pay shipping, I'll donate the eggs. Just let me know how many you would like. They are hatching really well. I have a bunch in the bator & every one is developing.

I try to fence my runs top & bottom for exactly this reason. There are still animals small enough to slip through some wire though. A weasel or mink will do exactly what you described.

I think I found where the critter got in. I built my run this winter when the ground was frozen. With the couple days of warm weather some of the ground under my door frame thawed and created a gap. I didn't see it until I went out a couple minutes ago and my serama roo was outside of the run. The hole will be fixed today and a trap will be set to catch the critter.

Back
Top Bottom