Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: not sure about the turkeys,,,,I will be working alot to make up for hubby about to get laid off, he will be taking care of the meat side of things this year,,,(that sounds bad, doesn't it )

I feed whole corn right now, I have no way of shelling it or cracking it, would like to have it cracked for fermenting.

To anyone who has been using fermented feed... I have a question....

I would be interested in going to the FF but have one possible hitch. We camp through the summer, usually leave Friday after taking care of critters and come back on Sunday. We have set up our feed/water/scratch to allow us to do it without problems so far. Any longer and we have a friend stop and care for the birds.
Now the question...
If you are feeding FF, does it have to be constant/every day? or can the birds tolerate going back to dry food on weekends? I try to minimize changes in feed and routine for any of our animals, so didn't want to 'yo-yo' on the FF thing. Another option I guess we would have is feeding the FF through the non-camping season and going back to dry food in the summer.

Anyone here switch out their bird's feed for weekends or such?
I have only ever done really small batches, talking butter dish small,,,for quail....there was occasions they got dry and were just fine with it.

Quote: not sure about the turkeys,,,,I will be working alot to make up for hubby about to get laid off, he will be taking care of the meat side of things this year,,,(that sounds bad, doesn't it )

I feed whole corn right now, I have no way of shelling it or cracking it, would like to have it cracked for fermenting.
And there's the resident wise cracker....
gig.gif
Hmmm..I saw nothing wrong with it 'till you went there....

not sure about the turkeys,,,,I will be working alot to make up for hubby about to get laid off,   he will be taking care of the meat side of things this year,,,(that sounds bad, doesn't it )

Ugh, that sucks that he's getting laid off...and you don't need to be working more, your back is already jacked up!

For meat birds, I've bought several times from both of these hatcheries, and have been very pleased with the birds. Both are located in PA, and neither have an online presence. The page for Reich's just has contact information. AFAIK, they cater mostly to the Amish and other Plain farmers who don't care about websites.

Reich's have a couple kinds of Cornish crosses that do well on pasture and aren't nearly as annoying as Cornish x from Tractor Supply. One is a barred cross that is hardy, forages well, and dresses out to 5# in 12 weeks. Not as fast as the less hardy Cornish x, but faster than Freedom Rangers. they do fine in hot weather.

http://reichspoultryfarm.com/birds/

Clearview Stock Farm & Hatchery
David Hartman
PO Box 399
Gratz, PA 17030
717-365-3234

Clearview's version of the barred broilers are called Kosher Kings. Good experiences with them, too. If I don't fill my freezer with spare roosters, I'll buy these later in the summer.

24 out and more hatching! I need an intervention!!!

A pig feeder for only $7!! Our pigs are coming shortly, I'll be checking Agway!!
yea you and me both ! but YEEEHAAAWWWW yayayya
Quote: Agree and I will add, you can always ask around and search for more information about breeders to find out about them and their practices!
To anyone who has been using fermented feed... I have a question....

I would be interested in going to the FF but have one possible hitch. We camp through the summer, usually leave Friday after taking care of critters and come back on Sunday. We have set up our feed/water/scratch to allow us to do it without problems so far. Any longer and we have a friend stop and care for the birds.
Now the question...
If you are feeding FF, does it have to be constant/every day? or can the birds tolerate going back to dry food on weekends? I try to minimize changes in feed and routine for any of our animals, so didn't want to 'yo-yo' on the FF thing. Another option I guess we would have is feeding the FF through the non-camping season and going back to dry food in the summer.

Anyone here switch out their bird's feed for weekends or such?
sure can do this! But I would just make extra buckets if its just a weekend, can clean them out when you get back home and dwindle down to your two!
Dough

We were visited by the biggest bear we have ever seen back here in the hollow last night. The dogs alerted us at first. DH was scaring him off with a flood light and he kept coming back. He busted a window out of my coop, so for now everything is boarded up. DH has to go out of town today and will be back Thursday. We'll do more re-enforcing this weekend. Admittedly, we hadn't predator proofed the coop to our liking yet anyway.

So all 30 chickens are fine, but I'm a bit nervous. It will keep coming back, no? What are you best bear deterrent ideas (other than getting rid of the darn garbage)? I am not comfortable enough with guns to use them when DH is not home.

Ugh.
barnie.gif

I don't use medicated either...they do just fine.
Mine too...DH and I were driving when we heard the news.
Beautiful!
Did you get the $150 or $350?
Those are cool...let us know how they work. May think about getting them for when we go away over the weekend.
I actually found a different one a little closer to me, very well constructed for $385.

Back
Top Bottom