Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

OMYGAWD a BEAR! and he actually broke a real window! holy molasses! Now what! will the insurance co cover this? Thank goodness he didn't get in, was there blood there did the bear get sliced from that window! holy moly! That be one hungry bear! Now I am a tad freaked but I don't think we have THAT BIGGA bears here, do we
hu.gif

We were visited by the biggest bear we have ever seen back here in the hollow last night. The dogs alerted us at first. DH was scaring him off with a flood light and he kept coming back. He busted a window out of my coop, so for now everything is boarded up. DH has to go out of town today and will be back Thursday. We'll do more re-enforcing this weekend. Admittedly, we hadn't predator proofed the coop to our liking yet anyway.

So all 30 chickens are fine, but I'm a bit nervous. It will keep coming back, no? What are you best bear deterrent ideas (other than getting rid of the darn garbage)? I am not comfortable enough with guns to use them when DH is not home.

Ugh.
barnie.gif
Call the Game Commission. Show them the bear damage. You would get in big trouble and have huge fines of you shoot 'their' bear, so make 'their bear 'their' problem.

We were visited by the biggest bear we have ever seen back here in the hollow last night. The dogs alerted us at first. DH was scaring him off with a flood light and he kept coming back. He busted a window out of my coop, so for now everything is boarded up. DH has to go out of town today and will be back Thursday. We'll do more re-enforcing this weekend. Admittedly, we hadn't predator proofed the coop to our liking yet anyway. So all 30 chickens are fine, but I'm a bit nervous. It will keep coming back, no? What are you best bear deterrent ideas (other than getting rid of the darn garbage)? I am not comfortable enough with guns to use them when DH is not home. Ugh. :barnie
HOLY COW! Just glad you and the chickens are safe!
I actually found a different one a little closer to me, very well constructed for $385.
It didn't happen if there aren't pics.
Grain mill: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/monster-mill-mm3-3-roller-mill.html I have never used one, don't know how it would work with corn. Just a thought. The are others available, this just looked like a bigger one.
I keep meaning to get a grain mill.....
Call the Game Commission. Show them the bear damage. You would get in big trouble and have huge fines of you shoot 'their' bear, so make 'their bear 'their' problem.
THIS!

We were visited by the biggest bear we have ever seen back here in the hollow last night. The dogs alerted us at first. DH was scaring him off with a flood light and he kept coming back. He busted a window out of my coop, so for now everything is boarded up. DH has to go out of town today and will be back Thursday. We'll do more re-enforcing this weekend. Admittedly, we hadn't predator proofed the coop to our liking yet anyway.

So all 30 chickens are fine, but I'm a bit nervous. It will keep coming back, no? What are you best bear deterrent ideas (other than getting rid of the darn garbage)? I am not comfortable enough with guns to use them when DH is not home.

Ugh.
barnie.gif
Keep your bears over there!!! I don't want them!!!! If 1 came to my coops & did that I wouldn't have a coop OR chickens left. My coops aren't anywhere near that sturdy. We just built from scrap that was available.

I'd be calling in the NATIONAL GUARD!!!!!

OMYGAWD a BEAR! and he actually broke a real window! holy molasses! Now what! will the insurance co cover this? Thank goodness he didn't get in, was there blood there did the bear get sliced from that window! holy moly! That be one hungry bear! Now I am a tad freaked but I don't think we have THAT BIGGA bears here, do we
hu.gif

I didn't even think about insurance. I'll look into it, at least for the future. No blood, that we could see. S/he was HUGE. We did see him. I would guess he was close to 500lbs.

We would only shoot to scare, not to hurt the bear. Luckily (maybe?), the head guy in charge of bears in PA is our neighbor. I'm going to email him today.

Keep your bears over there!!! I don't want them!!!! If 1 came to my coops & did that I wouldn't have a coop OR chickens left. My coops aren't anywhere near that sturdy. We just built from scrap that was available.

I'd be calling in the NATIONAL GUARD!!!!!

No kidding. I just hope he doesn't come back too soon.

We were visited by the biggest bear we have ever seen back here in the hollow last night. The dogs alerted us at first. DH was scaring him off with a flood light and he kept coming back. He busted a window out of my coop, so for now everything is boarded up. DH has to go out of town today and will be back Thursday. We'll do more re-enforcing this weekend. Admittedly, we hadn't predator proofed the coop to our liking yet anyway. So all 30 chickens are fine, but I'm a bit nervous. It will keep coming back, no? What are you best bear deterrent ideas (other than getting rid of the darn garbage)? I am not comfortable enough with guns to use them when DH is not home. Ugh. :barnie
This made me really think about my construction! Yikes!!

Ugh.
barnie.gif
EEK!!! no bears around us thank god!

Got another egg yesterday. not sure if it was from the fav or the silkie.. The fav hen was on the roost when i went up and she decided she didin't want petted. she tried to peck at me and almost fell off her roost, so i picked her up and carried her for a bit, then put her down and gave her some treats. i think she will warm up to me soon. Food definitly seems to help! :)

Yeesh! That is one of my bigger fears. I know we have a lot of bears around here. Saw on crossing the road less than a mile from us. So glad everyone is safe and the damage is minimal!

Making plans to go to the Swap Meet at Cook Twp Community Center in Stahlstown on May 11th 9am-2pm. Please let me know if I have anything you want me to bring with me. I can hold anything with a deposit of half down to be delivered either there or if you meet me along my route to or from. This includes hatching eggs & handmade soaps. (Maybe I can collect those geese here as well if we don't get arrangements made before then.) I will have pekin, runner & call ducks hatching between now & then in addition to all of the chicks I have available. I may even have some silkie chicks available as well.

Ugh.
barnie.gif

That's some SCARY STUFF!!!!!! Thank God everyone's okay
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom