Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Where at?

2. PAChickenChick2

PAChickenChick2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    USA
    Originally Posted by Vinniemac [​IMG]

I,am in a small borough called Port Vue about 15 miles south east of Pittsburgh across the river from McKeesport.I don't have any chickens yet but I would sure like to try raising them. I Have been reading a lot of books, I have about a1.5 acre all fenced in .I'm trying to gather as much information as I can to present to the borough council .I don't know what the rule are here. I would like to start out with about 4 to 6 hens.I could sure use all the information everyone could offer
    Thanks Vince

**Also...don't just look at the code for "farm animals" or "livestock". Where I live chickens were actually ALSO under "pets".
    I'm allowed to keep one hen per person living in my house...as a pet. (no meaties, because no eating) and no roosters because they are a sound issue.
    However, if I had not checked the "pets" part...I would have thought I couldn't keep them because it says a "flock of fowls" requires a certain amount of acres.

3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    sorry, should have said, fayette fairgrounds, uniontown , its the third sunday of this month, and most months, altho they don't have one in july due to the fair, but then have two in aug.

4. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Just out of curiosity... how many of you have your flock tested annually for MG?

5. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    @sara. Nope, wasn't me in Joann's, but it's weird how very close you live. What kind of chickens do you have?

Welcome Grayfish! I'm about an hr South of Philly. I'm not sure where you'd get hay or straw there, but if you need feed, I'm sure a.local pet store can order it for you, Purina makes poultry food.

@Sharron: I LOVE a swap, but that's a bit far for me. MsLadyHawk's got me all interested in the one in Maryland on the 16th. I've been lurking on that thread... But it's 3 hrs away and they've got all kinds of stuff, SIlkie Fainting Goats for crying out loud, who knows what I'd come home with. No, I can not be trusted to go to that one either. I'm spending way too much time chasing these 4H pigs back into their pens, I cannot add goats to that list.

Mama, I have not tested for MG, do you recommend it? Have you run across it?

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Ray, did your twin hatch?... I'm thinking not as we haven't heard. But maybe so, and you're busy keeping brooder water clean and filled.

Does anyone here put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water? How much, and why? Has it helped?

7. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

where is the swap on Sunday ?????

8. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    fayette fairgrounds, uniontown,

9. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Well, I was talking to the head poultry person at PSU and she told me that over 85% of BY flocks have it. And since it is passed through the egg and lots of us buy eggs.....

Also, it is possible to have it and not know. The only way to know is to be tested. You can actually add Certified MG Free to your NPIP.

10. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    what is mg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by