Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi to all the new people and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks Silkie for the probable sex on Stitch, I really need to do some more research on the breeds I have....

Gavin had his second 4-H meeting on Mon, and we're now signed up for Animal Day at the Orangeville Nursing Home, and I need to figure out what we're making/taking for the picnic mid June...I "love" how the lil snot volunteers me for stuff
roll.png
. We found out Bloom Fair doesn't except splash for the show, so now we need to figure out if Angel and Duncan (the Wheaten Ameraucanas) are showable. If not we'll need to look for show birds for next year. He's too young for 4-H showing this year, and I'm not worried about open showing at the fair this year (I'll be roped into helping at the in-laws' roasted corn stand most of the week this year)

And Gavin's not happy with me right now. I thought the mutton bustin was age restricted, nope it's weight and he's 5 lbs too heavy for it. So he's not very happy. Now he want's to learn to rope n' ride so he can be a "rodeo man," along with bronco and bull riding (guess I shouldn't have let him watch PBR and rodeos). My families giving me a rash n' crap about letting him even think he could make it in a rodeo, I told them "He's my son, and if that's what he wants to do, I'll support him 100%." As long as he has a backup plan for when he's too old for it, or (the more likely outcome) out grows the idea
lau.gif

Last edited:
A woman pulls up, and wanted eggs. I just sold 6 dozen yesterday and six last week. She bought my last 2, and I went in the house to wash up another dozen. If I didn't keep the oldest eggs for myself (I have never had a "just laid" egg) I would have sold those too!
th.gif
She will be back Saturday. She will buy three (or more) dozen if I have them.
My slackers had better get laying! Only 8/18 eggs yesterday. Okay, one is broody. So 1/2 laid.
For all the times I had too many eggs, now I need more!
She is working on her DH, trying to get her own chickens. I am working on HER trying to convince her that chickens are a better idea than she thought.
big_smile.png

Blarney:

I have a powder called 'permethrin'(or something close to it)...I was told it would not affect egg laying and to just dust the birds and to mix in with the pine shavings....

Thank Stake! I do have Permethrin on hand, in powder n spray form, also keep Ivermectin and Valbazene handy, wish I had used it earlier. I spent most of the day yesterday 'de-miting' YIkes, still feel the creepy crawlies on my arms.

Central PA. Dauphin county

Welcome!

A woman pulls up, and wanted eggs. I just sold 6 dozen yesterday and six last week. She bought my last 2, and I went in the house to wash up another dozen. If I didn't keep the oldest eggs for myself (I have never had a "just laid" egg) I would have sold those too! :th She will be back Saturday. She will buy three (or more) dozen if I have them.
My slackers had better get laying! Only 8/18 eggs yesterday. Okay, one is broody. So 1/2 laid.
She is working on her DH, trying to get her own chickens. I am working on HER trying to convince her that chickens are a better idea than she thought.:D

LOL That was me a few weeks ago...couldn't keep up with demand...now the girls are in overdrive producing...

Hey...has anyone heard from RoPo? Hoping she's ok!

would that be "sevin"..? I use that for the yard to keep fleas & ticks at bay...also good in the garden if persistant bug problem...only use if plants are NOT fruiting...I try not to use anything on things I'm going to be eating
sickbyc.gif
....but sometimes you have to go there...
hmm.png
...I try to be as "organic" as possible , first the natural stuff....
I have been tossing DE food Grade into my coop and dust the girls with it, is this a similar concept? I do that every once in a while, That is to keep bugs,mites,flees down right?
Seeing everyone's chicken pictures makes me so excited to get my own!
Are there any pages that anyone can give me that tell me how to tell gender at about 8 weeks of age?
Oh and have you guys heard about the cicadas? The 17-year Brood 2 is set to come out in PA within the next few weeks... meaning MILLIONS of these bugs. Chicken treats? What do you guys think? The birds I had two years ago would eat just about anything.
HIGH NEIGHBOR!!!!
frow.gif
Everyone was posting about the Cicadas, capture them and freeze those puppies! Free treats!
maybe I am just over thinking this and should just keep a close eye on everyone each time i change the grain make up of the feed...it was easier to just open the bag and dump...
I forgot to add the rye to that mix,,,,this one is not intentional,,,again they prefer the field over the feed trough....I really should clip wings
Yeah I like just tossing in the crumbles mix, they like that better then the pellets, and this math is making me head spin! Toss in Crumble, Toss in Scratch, Toss in Scraps and They girls seem happy.. easy peasy!! lol
A woman pulls up, and wanted eggs. I just sold 6 dozen yesterday and six last week. She bought my last 2, and I went in the house to wash up another dozen. If I didn't keep the oldest eggs for myself (I have never had a "just laid" egg) I would have sold those too!
th.gif
She is working on her DH, trying to get her own chickens. I am working on HER trying to convince her that chickens are a better idea than she thought.
big_smile.png
My Bfs mother is selling my eggs.. I was like Calm down lady!! lol When all the birds are laying, I will have plenty! I have 15 birds? And Holding back buying some Polish and Silkies from an Auction from the auction threat i am watching! lol But alas I only have 5 laying ( my one is injured and I brought her in the house on bed rest, she stopped laying), and they have seems to slow down production this week, I was getting 4 a day, only had 2 yesterday! See I set them up with a run, no one wants to lay any more. But more should start laying soon!!!
fl.gif

Also do you think it would be ok if I put my young chicks in with my older birds? They are about 5 weeks old, I have birds ranging from @ 1 year ( 4 Orps, 1 BLRW, 1 OEG) 22Week ( 2 EEs) & 13 weeks ( 3 RIR, 2 SS) , 5 weeks(2 Orp/Lang mix)

maybe I am just over thinking this and should just keep a close eye on everyone each time i change the grain make up of the feed...it was easier to just open the bag and dump...
I forgot to add the rye to that mix,,,,this one is not intentional,,,again they prefer the field over the feed trough....I really should clip wings
Wing,

I wouldn't fret about it this time of year. Like Heather mentioned, they are eating high protein bugs if they are free ranging. That said, I DID have some trouble with feather picking this winter when I was feeding a dry grain mix to my birds. On paper, the recipe was designed to be high enough in protein, but I was boosting it with fish meal that they were not eating. Now that I'm fermenting it, the fish meal stays mixed in and no problems. I'm another fan of cheap cat food from TSC as a generous treat.

I am so upset right now. My silver laced wyandottes killed my speckled sussex hen Pebbles. Pebbles was broody. I gave her eggs to my silkie that is broody also. I am so upset I was to get rid of my entire flock of slw. They are the meanest chickens in the world. They will kill any new chickens.

th.gif
big_smile.png

Wow what is she doing with all these eggs. Restaurant?

hugs.gif
That's horrible.
I am so upset right now. My silver laced wyandottes killed my speckled sussex hen Pebbles. Pebbles was broody. I gave her eggs to my silkie that is broody also. I am so upset I was to get rid of my entire flock of slw. They are the meanest chickens in the world. They will kill any new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom