Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Pittsburgh, PA! I am looking to get my first pullets. Any suggestions on breeds I should look at?
Hello! I'm not far outside of Pittsburgh! I have leghorns that are wonderful layers but not over friendly. My silkies are great pets but not great layers and my white rocks haven't started laying yet. I really want Easter Eggers. I have hatching eggs coming soon so finger crossed they hatch!
had a hatch yesterday and last night, some shipped eggs, Brahmas and my bantam cochins, sorry for pictures, i'm not a good picture taker but i try
wink.png
So cute!!!!!
actually they were a pretty good seller lol they're the blue/yellow w/ the lil silhouette right? :D send em on down! Lol or we can meet up for me to get em ^^
I have some I can send you. PM me with your address! Finally my laziness has paid off. The hubby was just yelling t me for saving

I have a friend here in York who has and breeds Nigerians. When I had goat's, ahem when I was younger lol, we had collars on them and would tie them to a tree with a lunge line. I will have to try to upload a pic of me, my hubby, and o e of my goat's. I think it will crack you guys up.

Mine is out on the lunge line. We are putting up a fence soon - electrified. If it doesn't work, back to being tied. We are sick of her getting tangled on every little thing.

SO - Anyone local want any bantam Orps in blue, black, splash and chocolate? I also have a few LF project chocolate pullets and black split chocolate cockerels. All under a month old. And, of course, the ducklings. If the ducklings don't sell, we are growing them out for supper. I need to sell more birds... Not to give anyone the pity story, but I am in jeopardy of losing the house if I can't get some funds raised. Otherwise, all the chocolate Orps would stay.

no, weren't many people there, lets see, one lady had a pair of grown ducks, beautiful but not what i wanted, then a lady with two boer goats,
ep.gif
not cheap, and the men with the baby calls and baby rabbits , what are you looking for? i could set you up with eggs, but they would be a mixture of breeds, i have coronation sussex, blwr wyandottes , and i have a yard with a lemon barred orpington roo, one hen and a mixture of young hens, some of the hens are cochin and orpington mixed and theres a wyandotte in there along with a sussex so like i said, mixture, i also have a tractor that has a buff laced brahma roo with two buff laced hens and one gold laced hen, those i would have to charge for but the others, i can gather you up some for nothing.
big_smile.png
or you can wait til next sunday and see if you can find something at the fayette fairgrounds at the buy sell trade.
I wish I would have seen this before my glass of wine last night and impulsive bidding on eBay for eggs! If this hatch turns out as crappy as the last I will let you know! Right now my leghorns and silkies are the only ones laying but let me know if you ever need any eggs.

Quote:

I really wish I could move. It's not just the snakes, there are many other reasons (most of which would be a major airing of the laundry if I explained them). I'll leave it at while I am grateful my parents allow me to rent this property for far less than I would pay someone else, I really wish they would have kept priorities straight and not blown money on stupid stuff over the years.
I am living in the house DH grew up in. Despite the funds that his aunt and uncle had, once his uncle died a few years ago, his aunt gave the money away as fast as she could, and neglected the house. I was only this year (his aunt is gone) able to call the exterminator for the termites. They have been around so long, it is going to cost just shy of $2,000 to get rid of them. Then the electrician needs to come back. The house is a fire trap due to old wiring that is frayed, hanging, and taped. Then I can have a real plumber come in and fix a multitude of issues including the work we had a friend do a few months ago so I could have a washing machine. I could go on. You get the point.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. Glad to have a home, but some of the avoidable issues make you crazy.

So it looks like I had another hen try to get in on my broodie's eggs and they must have fought over them. I found several broken eggs :barnie so now she is sitting on 13 eggs. :hit

i know shes not a chicken or duck but just had to
wee.gif
, i get to keep her, husband said tonight i could and also son agreed(he will be feeding her while we're gone) shes a dexter and only about 600 lbs, maybe 40 inches tall, shes getting to be such a nice girl
ya.gif
Glad you are getting to keep her!
love.gif

Here is the reason why you must take the time to find out what YOUR predators are gonna be.....I am literally only about 3 miles away and have very different predator's,,,,I get hawks but only in late summer early fall,,,,never had a raccoon problem, only time we see them is when sweet corn is ready and we set traps at that time....seen one possum in the last 3 years and it was obviously not well being out in the day time (really was not well an hour later).

with that said, my biggest predators are the sparrows that carry all kinds of nasty things with them and the pigeons (still looking for a useful purpose for these)....and the road, we live along a strip of road that people like to race on.
We had a possum here tonight.... HAD being the operative part of the term! Hate the predators sneaking around. Thank goodness for a good dog.... Mindy alerted us from inside, we have no idea how she knew it was out there but she started barking and carrying on till we sent her out the back door. Within a minute she went nuts barking and growling outside and we got up and threw on clothes and shoes and found her with a full grown possum cornered under a trailer. Radioman got a shovel and pushed it out from under it's hiding spot and it took off but didn't have a chance against Mindy. She had it 'out of service' in short order. I called her off of it once I knew it was done for and then Dillon even got to check it out. (he had been observing the event) We couldn't have been happier with Mindy for the job she did on this one!
Having a really rotten day,,,hubby handed me my favorite rooster by the feet and said do something with this,,,there was blood and it was not from the rooster,,,I did not have to ask what happened since this rooster never liked hubby......rooster now in fridge,,,a little depressing, but hubby does not fit in fridge.
So sorry... it does just suck sometimes!
hugs.gif

humm....sounds like you need a bigger fridge....lol
gig.gif

ep.gif
I didn't know it was possible to go to a swap & come home with NOTHING!!!!
lau.gif

had a hatch yesterday and last night, some shipped eggs, Brahmas and my bantam cochins, sorry for pictures, i'm not a good picture taker but i try
wink.png
Adorable!!
love.gif

One of my Orp boys going through that awkward teenage phase, a face only a mother could love.

ep.gif
Thank goodness people can see pics of what they will eventually look like if this is their teenage phase!
frustrated over a bad hatch on the white bresse,,,so I made myself feel better by winning an auction for a dozen dark cornish eggs,,,for $17 with shipping..
lau.gif

although on a more serious note... would like to see how your dark cornish develop for weight vs age... are they intended for butchering stock or pet purposes?
So it looks like I had another hen try to get in on my broodie's eggs and they must have fought over them. I found several broken eggs
barnie.gif
so now she is sitting on 13 eggs.
hit.gif
Sorry, broody hens can be a pain sometimes! though they are such an awesome sight to see with their little ones it is easy to forgive them their moods!

Quote: Currently in the bator due in the next 4 weeks:
4 batches of turkeys, all different heritage breeds or heritage mixes, all unrelated
5 breeds of duck (4 different batches of scovies from different lines, plus 4 other breeds-welsh harlequins, calls, runners & anconas)
3 breeds of quail (bob white, tennessee red, & assorted coturnix)
1 batch of silkies (BBS)
1 batch of NN/EE

In the brooders & grow-out pens:
3 Cream Legbar roos- 3 months old
1 mixed LF roo (adult)
3 golden sebright roos (2-3 months old)
6 runner ducks (1-8 weeks)
10-12 pekin ducks (1 day to adult)
2-3 rouen ducks (2-12 weeks)
4 call ducklings (2 days to 4 weeks)
1 FBCM or OE pullet (3 weeks)-I need to check her comb again to make sure which she is
several assorted young roos under 15 weeks old
2-3 FBCM pullets (15 weeks old)
possibly a buff orp pullet about 12 weeks old
1 black pullet (possibly sumatra) about 14 weeks old
several assorted color guinea keets about 2 weeks old
2 bantam buff orp chicks (4 weeks old)
2 bantam EE/OEGB chicks (3 weeks old)
1 cochin mix chick (4 weeks old)

There may also be a spare EE/OE or 2 out in the grow-out pen. I have to go through them tomorrow & decide who goes & who stays. Anyone still left on the "To Go" list goes to the swap Thursday night.

However, I'm always hatching something. I have bantam EE eggs under my broody hen right now too & more eggs supposed to be here this week. I can also set some LF EE eggs if I know someone wants them. All of my hens are covered by an EE roo & some are EE themselves.

Quote: EE & Orps I can do.

Quote:
I really wish I could move. It's not just the snakes, there are many other reasons (most of which would be a major airing of the laundry if I explained them). I'll leave it at while I am grateful my parents allow me to rent this property for far less than I would pay someone else, I really wish they would have kept priorities straight and not blown money on stupid stuff over the years.
I am living in the house DH grew up in. Despite the funds that his aunt and uncle had, once his uncle died a few years ago, his aunt gave the money away as fast as she could, and neglected the house. I was only this year (his aunt is gone) able to call the exterminator for the termites. They have been around so long, it is going to cost just shy of $2,000 to get rid of them. Then the electrician needs to come back. The house is a fire trap due to old wiring that is frayed, hanging, and taped. Then I can have a real plumber come in and fix a multitude of issues including the work we had a friend do a few months ago so I could have a washing machine. I could go on. You get the point.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. Glad to have a home, but some of the avoidable issues make you crazy.
Let me know if you can't find anyone for plumbing or electrical. My fiance & I do everything except hook to the breaker box itself, so could probably save you some money there if you need someone to run wiring. We do plumbing too. Currently redoing our own house plus 3 others for our landlord. The bugs we won't touch & we don't do snake removal. Anything else (plumbing, electrical, drywall, carpentry, masonry, auto-repair, tile, carpeting, etc.) we can probably do it.

So it looks like I had another hen try to get in on my broodie's eggs and they must have fought over them. I found several broken eggs
barnie.gif
so now she is sitting on 13 eggs.
hit.gif
I have an EE banty sitting on 7 eggs in the tractor right now. I actually sold 5 hens out of that pen this past week right before she went broody so there is only the roo & 1 other hen in with her. I just check under her once or twice a day to make sure the other hen didn't slip her another egg & we're good. She's really easy to reach too because the nest box is right against the drop down door on the top of the tractor. She's sitting there with her tail against the door so she can watch the other 2 birds in the pen with her which means the grumpy, nippy end is pointing the other way & all I have to do is slide my hand under & lift to see the eggs. She really isn't a nasty broody either. All she does is grumble a little & then stand up so I can see her eggs when I nudge her. I've had broodies that darn near take your hand off if you even reach into the cage to fill food or water...LOL

Glad you are getting to keep her!
love.gif

We had a possum here tonight.... HAD being the operative part of the term! Hate the predators sneaking around. Thank goodness for a good dog.... Mindy alerted us from inside, we have no idea how she knew it was out there but she started barking and carrying on till we sent her out the back door. Within a minute she went nuts barking and growling outside and we got up and threw on clothes and shoes and found her with a full grown possum cornered under a trailer. Radioman got a shovel and pushed it out from under it's hiding spot and it took off but didn't have a chance against Mindy. She had it 'out of service' in short order. I called her off of it once I knew it was done for and then Dillon even got to check it out. (he had been observing the event) We couldn't have been happier with Mindy for the job she did on this one!
So sorry... it does just suck sometimes!
hugs.gif

gig.gif

lau.gif

Adorable!!
love.gif

ep.gif
Thank goodness people can see pics of what they will eventually look like if this is their teenage phase!
lau.gif

although on a more serious note... would like to see how your dark cornish develop for weight vs age... are they intended for butchering stock or pet purposes?
Sorry, broody hens can be a pain sometimes! though they are such an awesome sight to see with their little ones it is easy to forgive them their moods!
thank you, shes a nice cow and we have a problem coon right now, has set the trap off several times without catching and until we do, i can't put my older chicks out in the big brooder and altho we have two dogs, a frenchie and a schipperke, can't let them out of the fenced in yard or they might get on the road and get killed. i hate coons

Back
Top Bottom