Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

the cost of the good strong hard wire mesh is thru the roof.................has anyone found a way to get that stuff for less money?

I was calculating my costs and it almost seemed better to buy a ready made coop! Seemed weird to me that a DIY coop could not be less expensive!

I can obtain enough inexpensive or free wood............pretty sure about that............

so the bigger cost is the strong mesh! Anyone ever get rid of it on craigs list???

Lisa:

When I priced the lumber to build(at HD) the costs were pretty high...The guy where I got mine was on CL and located in quakertown...and his prices were a few hundred less than the folks around us...and only a couple of hundred more than lumber costs(in general, I've found things more expensive Chester Co....)you will find used coops on CL or you can buy a cheapie on Ebay(I did that and its wasn't good enough for winter usage). If you are only getting a few, you might even find a dog house you could convert...you are more than welcome to come visit and review what I have and I can pretty much tell you what not to do.....(been there have the tee shirt) good luck

Hello everyone Im from NEPA. nice to see others from PA.

Welcome!

Can u add me to the map please 17747!! :)

Done!

the cost of the good strong hard wire mesh is thru the roof.................has anyone found a way to get that stuff for less money?

I was calculating my costs and it almost seemed better to buy a ready made coop!  Seemed weird to me that a DIY coop could not be less expensive!

I can obtain enough inexpensive or free wood............pretty sure about that............

so the bigger cost is the strong mesh!       Anyone ever get rid of it on craigs list???

You'd be surprised what you can find on craigslist, or at auctions....

The last little one is out. It's almost dried off and it looks blue!! :) yay!

YAY!

I was calculating my costs and it almost seemed better to buy a ready made coop!  Seemed weird to me that a DIY coop could not be less expensive!

so the bigger cost is the strong mesh!       Anyone ever get rid of it on craigs list???

Yea it is terrible. I paid $70 for a 4'x25' roll of galvanized hardware cloth which was so expensive. You can find this stuff on Craigslist though, I've seen it before. The only thing I don't recommend is going cheap with chicken wire if you plan to keep your chickens out unattended, my friends quail died this way because anything can tear through it.

looking for some opinions from you guys. Before i set my next batch of eggs. How can I bump up the Hummidity at lockdown. I am adding a turner so I am worried i won't have the room to add all the little containers of water and sponges and paper towels i had to add to get it up to 75%. Spritzing the eggs with water seemed to help. But if i do that i have to open the incubator every day.. Just want to get this down before the eggs come in later this week. Thanks!!

looking for some opinions from you guys. Before i set my next batch of eggs. How can I bump up the Hummidity at lockdown. I am adding a turner so I am worried i won't have the room to add all the little containers of water and sponges and paper towels i had to add to get it up to 75%. Spritzing the eggs with water seemed to help. But if i do that i have to open the incubator every day.. Just want to get this down before the eggs come in later this week. Thanks!!
my house is plenty humid at this time of the year,,,bator will run 40% without any water,,,even at lock down for me it takes very little water and i only go to 55% humidity at lockdown...

I have the opposite problems, I am always trying to take humidity out

my house is plenty humid at this time of the year,,,bator will run 40% without any water,,,even at lock down for me it takes very little water and i only go to 55% humidity at lockdown...

I have the opposite problems, I am always trying to take humidity out
I thought my humidity was ok, but I had some shrink wrapped chicks. So I guess it needs to be higher... Getting a better hygrometer as well.

One reason I don't go to auctions...can't do it and I have no Italian heritage lol
I don't either
Hello everyone Im from NEPA. nice to see others from PA.
Welcome!
The last little one is out. It's almost dried off and it looks blue!!
smile.png
yay!
wee.gif

I had a thought. Call local scrap yards? Maybe they have some used wire..It will be a pain to straighten but perhaps you can get it cheaper. I don't know....the wire costs really surprised us as well.
That's a great idea!! Some people will just take rolls of wire in to recycle and have nice rolls sitting there.

Here is the pic so you know it happened. :)
Very cute!

Back
Top Bottom