Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I had some Dark Cornish when I lived in TN. A very pretty bird although slow developing. Mine were from McMurray, I suppose if you let them get to size there would be enough meat on them but when I got rid of them at about 26 weeks they were still small and the hens had only started laying.

I also had gotten some Cornish X Rocks, I got them in November I think from McMurray as well and sent em to freezer camp at 13 weeks, They dressed out at about 11 lbs and mine had alot of fat on em. Here they are at about 11 weeks, a good comparasion to a Barred Rock hen the same age.

The Delaware Roosters and the Sex Link (RIR or NHR over a Delaware) rooster look about the same and do get BIG, He looks just like a Delaware but if you look close you can see red bleeding through his hackles

Oh I forgot to add I would do the Cornish X Rocks again, but I would only do them in the winter as all they do is eat poop and sleep and when I say POOP I mean poop... ALOT, so I would beat if you did them in the spring/summer the smell would be awful or you would be cleaning that pen twice a weeks atleast.

I had some Dark Cornish when I lived in TN. A very pretty bird although slow developing. Mine were from McMurray, I suppose if you let them get to size there would be enough meat on them but when I got rid of them at about 26 weeks they were still small and the hens had only started laying.

I also had gotten some Cornish X Rocks, I got them in November I think from McMurray as well and sent em to freezer camp at 13 weeks, They dressed out at about 11 lbs and mine had alot of fat on em. Here they are at about 11 weeks, a good comparasion to a Barred Rock hen the same age.

The Delaware Roosters and the Sex Link (RIR or NHR over a Delaware) rooster look about the same and do get BIG, He looks just like a Delaware but if you look close you can see red bleeding through his hackles
what I have now is a delawarexfreedom ranger mix (I am wishing I would of kept the delaware's, but they got mean )...any suggestions on what to put him in with,,,I have alot of sex link hens,,,also orpington's ,,,a few that are just plain mutt's but they are large hen's (hard to say the background)

not looking for birds that grow out in 8 weeks,,,would rather have a little slower growing at say 12 to 14 weeks...

I have a batch of freedom rangers in now that are 7 weeks,,,thinking about keeping a few of those hen's to work with,, I know they can live just fine with the layers,,,,I have 1 that is 3 years old in with my layers.

I know a lot of you are already on the processing thread helping out, but if anyone else wants to pop on and share their experiences the more helpful we are! So if you can post some knowledge or want to take the step into processing, please don't hesitate to join us there too! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ort-group-help-us-through-the-emotions-please I know I have taken the step and its been amazing at all the support and how smoothly it went emotionally and just getting er done!

I have a project going right now....
remember the 2 delaware roosters that i had last summer,,,well I left them in with some older freedom ranger hens that were starting to lay,,then I turned and hatched all of those eggs....it was a bad hatch of only 3 out of 12,,,,and they were all roo's.....we butchered 1 at 8 weeks and 1 at 12 weeks,,,they were up there in weight for the ages,,,,I still have 1 of these roo's and since he is a litlle heavy for some of my hen's I was gonna send him to camp,,,hubby wants to keep and move him next week snce i will have an empty pen then,,,,I will be picking out a few of the larger hen's, haven't decided what yet, to put in with him and see what hatches from those.....can keep you posted on how this goes,,,,let me know if ou are interested in pics of the roo and whatever hen we put with him..

found a pic,,,,,this is 1 of the roo's at 11 weeks

"too heavy for your hens" ...how do you know that? My rooster is doing some damage...I wonder if he's overly amorous or too heavy (he's rather large).

If you are looking for a good dual purpose breed you might want to check out Buckeyes. Great dual purpose and are cold weather hardy and also they handle hot weather very well. Breed is also very gentle and will follow you around.

Here is a pic of what a Cock would look like.

I know a lot of you are already on the processing thread helping out, but if anyone else wants to pop on and share their experiences the more helpful we are! So if you can post some knowledge or want to take the step into processing, please don't hesitate to join us there too! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ort-group-help-us-through-the-emotions-please I know I have taken the step and its been amazing at all the support and how smoothly it went emotionally and just getting er done!
I'd help, but I have a feeling I'm a bit too "cold" to be much help. I have the "luxury" (although according to my mom and sister I'm just a "heartless, frigid b****") of being able to have a total emotional disconnect with any animal I've marked for processing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom