2. what is your set up
1. free range
2. coop and run
3. pen
4. barn

3. do you want to raise chemical free

4. do you like eye candy for the yard.

5. do you want to go heritage.or hatchery,

this seems like a lot to ask. however a lot of time people get the wrong type birds and get very frustrated and give up.

my main suggestion and a very strong suggestion. NO SWAPS OR AUCTIONS for your birds. if you do this 8 out of 10 you will get problematic birds and are in for a huge heart break.

i do not want to overwhelm you. i just want you to have a great chicken experience.

Last edited:
Welcome! Have no fear, everyone her will be happy to get you twice as many chickens as you think you want.
thumbsup.gif
lau.gif
ep.gif

i remember when i got my first chicks from the feed mill. i got 7 little peeps. 4 production reds and 3 black sex links. oh what a fond memory. today my little flock consists of 45 layers. for egg sales then my breeding show stock of heritage rhode island red. lets not forget the lavender ameraucana breeding pen. now that totals around 60 -70 birds on the ground . now when i raise the meat birds 2 x per year you can count 130 birds at any given day.
yes those days of 7 little chicks. bahahaha.

Last edited:
Schwenksville-----I am planning on getting my first chickens this Friday................from the Lancaster area......

the people on here are GREAT!

there is a guy in Collegeville who raises chickens..........
also Quakertown...................

southern chester county is Blarney-------------she is on here!

Right now I am trying to heal a shin injury ---------------its killing me-----------------in worst case scenario -----------I may not be able to get my chickens Friday.............

and they would be homeless?
hit.gif

I am hoping for my leg to get better already............darn it!

and for me to get my new chickens................but right now

I think I might have Bumble foot of the shin!

rhode island red will go broody . they also make excellent mothers.  is it a production red a/k/a hatchery  rhode island red

I'm actually not sure where it originated from. A local farmer with 120 acres decided he didn't want to do chickens anymore so he was getting rid of is whole set up. I got 6 birds from him, 2 of them being laying pullets. One of those was what I thought to be a RIR. Now that I looked into it, I found out that NHR's look just like RIR's but have the black tail feathers. This one has slight black tail feathers and looks just like some of pictures I looked at. I didn't think RIR's went broody very often, if at all so I was confused. But NHR's apparently go broody frequently. I just closed up the coops for the night and she is still sitting on that golf ball. If she is still here in the morning I think I will slip a few fertile Australorp eggs under her and take out the golf ball. Do you know if NHR's make good mothers?

Candled my silkie eggs my broody is sitting on and they are duds. Stupid rooster wasn't doing his job before he went MIA. Grrr. Now I either have to let them hatch leghorn eggs (which I don't really want any more of) or get some fertile eggs from somewhere else. I either want to get some colorful layers or eye candy (silkies, frizzles, serama, polish). What to do, what to do......

thanks everyone for all your ideas................I find it all very helpful and would be totally clueless without this feedback!

Here is my current plan ( subject to change as needed!)

Get all of them in a dog crate............with a smaller box inside to protect the 6wk old ones

Let out the big girls in the run and keep the 6 wks in the dog crate and IN the run.

Feed everyone the grower mix and put out the oyster shell for the big girls to take advantage of.........

At night.............I think initially I will keep them separate...........and try to make the dog crate more protected and with a roost..........

once they seem to be possible getting along in the run............I will let them decide where they want to go to roost..............

eventually------try to have them all in the coop.

Since this is likely to be a PROCESS........chances are I will be posting how things progress and of course some pictures too!

I hope ------bottom line---------NO CHICKENS see RED ( as in blood)

and everyone is safe and learns to like each other................NOW is that just too much to ask????
wink.png

WOW, how bad is your leg if you might have to put off getting the chickens?? Hopefully you can end up getting them.

haha i am stupid, i totally quoted the wrong bit lol

Last edited:
real sweet....though....I'd like to stop by with my BB gun....lol

C'mon by! Meet the goaties. No need for a BB Gun, I like my neighbors. Although if you happen upon a raccoon, have at it.

PS: nothing like a really good pup,,,

Schwenksville, Pa. - looking for my first chickens

Welcome! Schwenksville, huh? Been there many times. You are about to get descended upon by the Philadelphia Folk Festival, no? Bruce put together some good questions for you to think about and that will get you going in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom