Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hubby borrowed a trail cam from a friend to see what we are up against with our koi pond. We have 2 raccoons :( 1 set the trap (have a heart trap) and excaped. The trap was always triggered in the morning without a critter in it. It walked right out of the trap. Hubby ordered those raccoon traps everyone was talking about. Waiting for those to come. :( Hopefully was can get them with those!

Hubby borrowed a trail cam from a friend to see what we are up against with our koi pond. We have 2 raccoons :( 1 set the trap (have a heart trap) and excaped. The trap was always triggered in the morning without a critter in it. It walked right out of the trap. Hubby ordered those raccoon traps everyone was talking about. Waiting for those to come. :( Hopefully was can get them with those!

I've heard that racoons are capable of opening multi step latches. They are the only thing that make me a bit nervous about my coop

I now know why one of my leghorns have be crabby today. Look at the egg she jsut laid! Her usual egg size is on the left, usually 1.5 ounces. This one was 2.2 ounces!
Wow, I'd be crabby too!! That's like one of us having a 7 lb baby, then an 11 lb baby the next time...
th.gif

Hubby borrowed a trail cam from a friend to see what we are up against with our koi pond. We have 2 raccoons
sad.png
1 set the trap (have a heart trap) and excaped. The trap was always triggered in the morning without a critter in it. It walked right out of the trap. Hubby ordered those raccoon traps everyone was talking about. Waiting for those to come.
sad.png
Hopefully was can get them with those!
I'm always nervous about coons. Every one that we've shot we've sent for testing, only one was NOT rabid... Hopefully those new traps work, and are just trying to pack on extra pounds before winter. After how chilly it's been at night, especially this early, it wouldn't surprise me if that's all they're up to and they're healthy.
Although to be honest, after seeing pictures Bambi and Thumper I think most animals (and unwanted people) would need to be sick to come close to your house
lau.gif
. I only mean their size not that they look mean or scary, I thought they looked so sweet and like big cuddle bears. I personally prefer large and extra large breeds, partially because they do scare unwanted people off, but mostly because they're often the sweetest dogs.

Wow, I'd be crabby too!! That's like one of us having a 7 lb baby, then an 11 lb baby the next time...
th.gif
I'm always nervous about coons. Every one that we've shot we've sent for testing, only one was NOT rabid... Hopefully those new traps work, and are just trying to pack on extra pounds before winter. After how chilly it's been at night, especially this early, it wouldn't surprise me if that's all they're up to and they're healthy. Although to be honest, after seeing pictures Bambi and Thumper I think most animals (and unwanted people) would need to be sick to come close to your house
lau.gif
. I only mean their size not that they look mean or scary, I thought they looked so sweet and like big cuddle bears. I personally prefer large and extra large breeds, partially because they do scare unwanted people off, but mostly because they're often the sweetest dogs.
Yes! I don't blame her one bit. Hopefully she can gradually work her way up to medium eggs.

My koi pond is on the other side of my dog run. They share the same fense.I love my rottweilers! Super sweet lap dogs that are super protective of the family. I don't see the raccoons during the day so I don't think they have rabies. So far this year we had frogs, snakes and a snapping turtle eating our koi. Now the raccoons. I hate loosing my koi. They are so pretty. I am glad they are at that end of my yard and not bothering my chickens! My cat smelt the area where the raccoons were coming up the hill and growled, she didn't lkke them there at all. I am relieved its not a bear or mountain lion.

Westmoreland County here. Does anyone know where I can get 3 hens, 8-10 weeks old in Westmoreland, Indiana, Fayette or Somerset Counties? I need VERY quiet hens -- I've heard Buff Orpingtons are a good bet for quiet, but if somebody has a better suggestion I'm open to hearing it. thanks!

Last edited:
I see bright dark red --------------Maybe poop? in my coop and run

It looks like the color of a dark cherry............

I am not positive it is poop...........but what else could this be?

So I am worried my big hen might have blood in her poop.

what do you all know about this?

could it be from eating watermelon? I have given them this over the last few days

only thing is the color of the poo is much darker red

I'd be willing to go that far, I love the Lancaster area, but tell me this, in all truth, cause I kind of need "stealth" chickens ... are they quiet? Or can you recommend a breed that are virtually silent? Little clucks here and there would be ok, but that whole egg song thing .. Yikes! As you might be able to tell these would be my very first chickens ever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom