Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm from Perry County, PA

1 red sex link "Esme"
1 barred rock "Fiona"
welcome-byc.gif

With six boys, and six girls in the one coop, I have been trying to get rid of four boys. I only wanted to keep Red and Jack. Poor Jack. He had the biggest and reddest comb and wattles, and he was the only one that I never saw crow after his first (and he was the first to crow) time. Then two more caught up to him. Now I cannot tell who is who. My brother-in-law is coming this weekend to do the deed. Looks like Red is the only one staying.
Please wish me luck. I really have mixed feelings about this. I need to get through it, and get used to it. Roosters are going to happen again, and if I cannot adopt them out, I will have to process again. That is the downside. The upside being fresh meat. Will I like the meat? Assuming I get over eating my own chicken, I would hate to not like the taste! Is it like growing your own vegetables, the taste is better, or like game, the taste is stronger?

Sara! It was awesome getting to meet and speak with you, my son has been talking about your Polish eggs ever since.

Motorcycle chick, sounds like you're doing the right thing and the chicken tastes so much better! Unless, of course, it's an older one -then I hear the trick is the crockpot.

Mama2my, nope, no judging on the birds...No ribbons or competition. Although the judge did take the time to talk to each child and let them know if their bird was show quality, what the faults were and how to breed toward a better bird. VERY informative.

Last edited:
Blarney - my polish aren't quite laying yet. Probably in the fall/winter. He is welcome to as many as he would like. Maybe we can trade for some Orphington eggs!

Eggs are the greatest! Soothe ruffled feathers of neighbors whose window was broken by boys, given as gifts to friends/relatives, eaten a myriad of ways, I just love eggs...and love that I know exactly how old they are, who they came from, and what they've been eating...Fiancee thought I was insane when I started this adventure...but he likes to indulge me. Last night he commented that he can't remember the last time we had to buy eggs. And a good thing that is!

Back
Top Bottom