Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey, my kids are all going to school this year!! Stranger things have happened, lol. How far are you from Green Dragon then?
I assume you home schooled? Brave lady! School is bittersweet, a lot of demands, especially the more kids you have. Money, forms,functions, and you can never forget the daily homework torture sessions. I mean MY torture btw, BUT the few hours of quiet are awesome. However, I got lonely and had 1 more when my baby went off to kindergarten. Thus the chickens, hubby said no more babies! Maybe that's why he doesn't complain about all the coops I have him build.
Green Dragon is about 1 1/2 hrs. from me. I keep thinking I should take some roo's up there, but I just am so squeamish about the stewpot idea. Most of my roo's I really USED TO love.

Two people have said they have cross beak chicks. There is a thread here for that. In it you will learn how to trim the beak (easy) feed them (dish to use as well as mash recipes) and if it is really bad, how to tube feed.
It is IMPORTANT that you pay attention to your cross beaks. Calories keep the bird warm. If they are not getting enough to eat, you will have to bring them inside during the winter. Most use a dog crate. I am planning on keeping Cadburry outside in a separate pen with a heat lamp. In case of a power outage, she will come inside, but I don't want everyone getting used to the heat lamp, and adding that problem.

Patrick, I think most of us are overrun with roos!

I've got: 2 Brown Leghorn roos, 2 Delaware roos, 1 sebright roo, 1 Ameracaunna roo, 1 Speckled Sussex roo, 1 BLRW roo...oh god..I've got more than I thought! Ok...29-8=21...of those I'm getting 7-8 eggs per day...so either I've got even more roos...or someone's not doing their job of giving me eggs!

Patrick, I think most of us are overrun with roos!

I've got: 2 Brown Leghorn roos, 2 Delaware roos, 1 sebright roo, 1 Ameracaunna roo, 1 Speckled Sussex roo, 1 BLRW roo...oh god..I've got more than I thought! Ok...29-8=21...of those I'm getting 7-8 eggs per day...so either I've got even more roos...or someone's not doing their job of giving me eggs!
How is that working for you? I have 27 chickens counting the babies. 7 are roosters (again counting the one baby). Aren't the boys driving the girls insane? Or will it be different when the 6-week-olds get old enough to go after, and less hectic?

I assume you home schooled? Brave lady! School is bittersweet, a lot of demands, especially the more kids you have. Money, forms,functions, and you can never forget the daily homework torture sessions. I mean MY torture btw, BUT the few hours of quiet are awesome. However, I got lonely and had 1 more when my baby went off to kindergarten. Thus the chickens, hubby said no more babies! Maybe that's why he doesn't complain about all the coops I have him build.
Green Dragon is about 1 1/2 hrs. from me. I keep thinking I should take some roo's up there, but I just am so squeamish about the stewpot idea. Most of my roo's I really USED TO love.

Yes, I did homeschool up until this year. #4 just put me over the top, lol! Seriously though, she is special needs and just requires a lot of extra everything. We have 7 surgeries this year and not a lot od schooling was getting done. And where we are now, there just isn't a large homeschooling community like we are used to.

I know how you feel about the stewpot thing.... but I can't even give them away! And I can't have more roos than hens!

I DID IT! I DID IT! I REACHED "CHILLIN' WITH MY PEEPS"!!! YEAYYYYYYY!!!!
okay, I am calm now.

thumbsup.gif

Ok so I want some advice from you veterans!! I have only one white roo and he is very aggressive towards my hens!! Most of thm run from him cause he is your typical horny male! Would you keep him or get rid of him?? Don't know what to do about him yet!!

That is normal for a rooster that is in his first breeding season, his will be this fall. So in the spring he should settle down. I wanted to ask are the hens laying yet? If they aren't that could be part of his frustration.

The boys have favorites...and often will gang up on one hen...3 in a row sometimes! The girls are not overly pecked over. I had one that this was happening to, I quarantined her for a few days and put blukote on her head and that seemed to help. The Delaware roos seem to not realize that just because Duck is white, does not make her the same species as them....and often try to mate her...she just turns her head and clamps on to their wattles!

Back
Top Bottom