Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I would first and foremost separate the sick girls from the one not showing signs one way or another. And than treat them all! I had used that stuff once a few years ago and its very easy to use. dedicate a measuring spoon just for that and add it to the water. It doesn't take much to mix with the water. I had actually overdosed some chicks once by accident. So FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! Antibiotics to the clean chickens will just help keep them from getting the cold as well.

Goober,

The vet med book had listed erythromycin as well. If the girls are really bad off i would try some of that. Check your cabinets and with family to see if someone has any left over from a persciption. Crush a pill and add a lil to the water. Start washing the coop down with bleach and water mixed, replace the bedding in the laying boxes and look to eliminate the virus in general.

Goober,

Here is an idea what it is used for in humans. I would check your cabinet, ask family and friends close to see if anyone has any left over.

Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria, such as bronchitis; diphtheria; Legionnaires' disease; pertussis (whooping cough); pneumonia; rheumatic fever; venereal disease (VD); and ear, intestine, lung, urinary tract, and skin infections. It is also used before some surgery or dental work to prevent infection. Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.

Here is an interesting article on it as well.

http://www.helium.com/items/1388712-poultry-infectious-coryza-symptoms-and-treatments

again it says isolate the sick birds and potential carriers, it could be in the water, on your clothes, it also says that it could have been introduced through the feed. Where did your feed come from?
I get my feed from tractor supply. I'm isolating them right now. And I'm hoping that they will all be OK. And we can eat there eggs without getting sick! I am new at this. I wont lie. I have been so upset today but want to do all I can to help them. If I bleach the inside and outside of the coop can the chickens go right back inside? I have a dirt pen what do I do for that? I have a mama hen that is sitting on 3 eggs and they are to hatch on the 5Th. Can I let her right back in?

Hey everyone! Another Pennsylvanian here. I'm in NE PA. If anyone knows of anywhere close to me, that I can get some Lavender Orpington pullets from, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Hey everyone! Another Pennsylvanian here. I'm in NE PA. If anyone knows of anywhere close to me, that I can get some Lavender Orpington pullets from, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Depending on where you are in the Poconos, Hink JC is up there in Schuylkull. They are the original breeders of the color in the USA. I've heard tell that they are often on Craigslist up there with cheap Lav. chicks. You can find them on the Lavender Orp thread on BYC. Their username is Hink JC (I think it stands for Jodi and Charlie). PM them, they're really nice.

Last edited:
I get my feed from tractor supply. I'm isolating them right now. And I'm hoping that they will all be OK. And we can eat there eggs without getting sick! I am new at this. I wont lie. I have been so upset today but want to do all I can to help them. If I bleach the inside and outside of the coop can the chickens go right back inside? I have a dirt pen what do I do for that? I have a mama hen that is sitting on 3 eggs and they are to hatch on the 5Th. Can I let her right back in?
The feed should be okay. Wash the feeder, waterer, and coop really well. I would try to let it dry before the old hen gets back in. I am a more aggressive keeper. I don't like to sacrifice anyone just because it's easy. I have all daughters and they would be devastated if we just slaughtered the girls if they got sick. As far as the dirt pen, rake it out.get the poop and any straw out. And I would still do preventive measures for the older birds. A lil antibiotics in the water just to make sure all the girls are safe.

Back
Top Bottom