Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

how did this happen you ask......................

landlord is family -----------that does not live here though

but I rent from the family

they noticed the brooder and said

NO CHICKENS IN THE HOUSE!

So, brood them outside the house.
You'll have to walk out to visit them, but it works, especially with the weather warming
fl.gif

Be sure to make something safe from predators and close to electricity.

Got a tom turkey today! Now the 4 ladies will have a suitable love interest.

And, of course the obligatory chick pics. There are 20 of them in there, several different varieties.

Baby Blue Bredas!
(say that 5 times fast)

Last edited:
This could have a bit to do with heat & light. If you use the red or ceramic emitter bulbs they are more likely to sleep more through the night. I use the regular white lights & mine are up through the night too, but it doesn't bother me. If you make it darker at night they should stay a bit quieter at night. My alarm goes off at 6am. I shove my daughter out to go plug in the bird lights. By the time she rolls out & gets back up through the trap door the 2nd alarm goes off at 6:30am to wake my son up & get them both ready for school. Then I have to feed, water & clean up after all the animals. Then take care of the house...kids' homework, supper, baths, and finally crawl into bed & try to get a couple hours of sleep before starting over again. I have 4 brooders running right now. I've had up to 9 set up at a time I ran my runners & scovies together without any problems so not sure why there should be an issue since pekins are about 3 times the size of runners.
Thanks Silkie! We do have a red light, but they are seeming to run on their own schedule. Oh well, it's only for a couple of weeks.
GM Folks: Tough day....my GLW with the infection went down today....and, I decided to move the girl who was attacked by the fox back outside...for only being away from the flock for 5-6 days, they are giving her a hard time...not much chicken zen today.....
Sorry Stake! :hit I'm sure she will get better with some T L C. You've had a rough go lately.
Here is a good use of old feed bags from our potato talks earlier! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/05/tater-totes-feed-bag-potato-patch.html
Thanks! This looks like a great idea! I know someone else posted about poor yields last year. I too got miserable little potatoes last year. Maybe it was a bad year for them? Because I'm sure it was nothing I did! Lol :rolleyes:
Geese for sale. 2 Chinese/Toulouse mix. A little over 2 years old. Unsure of gender. Lebanon PA pick up. $45 OBO
If only I had the room....

how did this happen you ask...................... landlord is family -----------that does not live here though but I rent from the family they noticed the brooder and said NO CHICKENS IN THE HOUSE!
Chicks are not really chickens are they? There's a difference.;). Seriously though, I hope you find a way to get them. Maybe start a wee bit later in the season with the brooder box outside as some have recommended?
So, brood them outside the house. You'll have to walk out to visit them, but it works, especially with the weather warming :fl Be sure to make something safe from predators and close to electricity.
Agree!
Got a tom turkey today! Now the 4 ladies will have a suitable love interest. And, of course the obligatory chick pics. There are 20 of them in there, several different varieties. Baby Blue Bredas! (say that 5 times fast)
Sooooo adorable! Where did my fuzzy chicks go? I must have lost them, they were here 2 weeks ago...:lol:

Just a heads up, the Lebanon Valley Poultry Fanciers meeting will be on 03/27/14. It was scheduled for this Thursday 03/13/14. We are planning our fall show. It doesn't matter where you live, this is just not for Lebanon County. Please join us!!!!

Back
Top Bottom