Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I am SO mad!! I have this pair of serama and 2 little cockerels. A chicken buddy in LA has been telling me for a while she wanted them when the weather breaks. I asked her several times if she was sure she wanted them. and her reply was always "don't sell them!! I want them!" Well, she just got her NPIP, and now since I am not she doesn't want them. I could have sold them at least twice by now!!!!

GRRRRR! So now I have 4 more chickens here that I need to sell!! JUST what I needed!

On a happier note.... I am so glad that I met a good chicken buddy. RoPo, thanks again for all of your help yesterday!

2. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    My Christmas list has been filled at the Harley shop every year for about twenty years. Now I have a wish list filled at TSC (and Meyer Hatchery. I can't wait for Chick Days to see if they have what I want). My Christmas present was going to be the incubator with the egg turner that TSC sells, but I am really torn about incubators still, so I changed that. Now I want new waterers, feed, pine chips, grit, oyster shells (are ya getting this, Santa?) and some books/magazines.
    I know I will never get a new coop for any reason unless I order it myself ... Or I really do take over the second shed. Tempting as the garage is, we have too many toys in there to give it up. Of course, the brooder is in there. <grin> I am getting some building ideas. [​IMG] No. No!!! I cannot take the garage. Darn it! I really can!
    Okay, what is everyone's feelings about metal coops? I would cut insulation along the entire roof line (12" sound right?) and use sand on the floor to control heat. I would also hose down the walls/ceiling in the summer to further help with heat. Lots of ventilation. Maybe a wall of 1/4" hardware cloth.
    Oh, I am in so much trouble. Forget the Chicken Math thread, all the enablers are here!! [​IMG]

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Our Fifth Anniversary was this February 26th. Now we're getting married in October of next year...so I figure for the 5th Wedding Anniversary I'll get my mini cow!

4. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    You are wonderful!! You are making it easier for me to get MY mini cow! You are the best! Keep getting awesome gifts!
    If I give you a list of animals I want, will you convince your husband to give them to you, so I can convince my husband to give them to me?

5. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

what nipi?

6. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, If you lived closer...Seramas are gonna be my winter project. DH is building a mini coop and play yard in my basement for mine, and I'll be collecting eggs and hatching all winter. They really are such clean, pleasant little chickens. My broody hen Betty just hatched out 2 yesterday ( special day because it's my first go at having mama hatch them.) Hopefully she'll start laying again soon. I NEEED more hens though. I have 1 and 2 roos. Don't worry, the boys are having lots of fun with RoPo's D'Uccles so Betty's getting a break.

7. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    You would love this little pair!! The pullet is chocolate.

[​IMG]

And the roo is like a calico color.

[​IMG]

And here are the babies. One is a frizzle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You KNOW you want them!!! LOL!

National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP)

Basically says that you have been tested for certain diseases. Varies by county/state.

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    NationalPoultryImprovementProject. Basically you have to meet fairly strict guidelines, not bring disease in (like any of us would intentionally) etc. You can demand a premium price for your chickens/eggs...supposedly. You are subject to inspections, and from what I hear it's a long process.

9. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    That part is debatable. I think all she had to do was pullorum and AI.

10. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

MAMA: You are terrible! Thank Goodness you're 3 hours away. I LOVE YOUR SERAMAS, and if you were closer I would purposely have a "Bad Day" just so DH would let me have them.

Question: When you have chicks the old fashioned way, what food do you give everyone? I know the older ones shouldn't have the starter, and the babies shouldn't have the layer, so what do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by