Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

It's so gorgeous out there today! When I get done work at two, I'm going to let the chickens out and work on the run and finish the coop. And of course we will have a little free ranging fun with the ladies! My parents gave me a miter saw that they bought and never used. I can't wait to get started!! A miter saw will make the job so much easier! Any tips?

Also, I know I asked this before, but when is it a good time to let the hens stay outside permanently? I think it was Lisa who said when it stays above 40* at night consistently, but i can't remember the rest. They are about 6-7 weeks old now and are well feathered and getting nice and fluffy now so I think they will be good to go soon. Just looking for pointers.
big_smile.png
Pitch em out. They'll be fine now as long as they have a secure coop at night & can huddle together. My 3-6 week olds are off heat & only in the garage in wire cages. Gets just as cold out there as outside when the lamps are off.

Picked up 6 "ameracana" chicks at TSC to keep "ducky" company.
gig.gif

so I had a chance to hold my chickens today and my one has some stuff at the base of her feathers...................not sure what it is..........but it kinda looks like when your cats hair is matted..................

I am hoping its not lice...............maybe just matted down?????

its whitish/ grey and clumpy at the base of her feathers................

The other chickens do not have this.

Slyvie is a silver laced Wyandotte so she has silver/ white colors in her feathers and the others don't.....................

what do you think this is?

I am thinking I may want to pretend it is a problem and treat it...........just in case???

so I had a chance to hold my chickens today and my one has some stuff at the base of her feathers...................not sure what it is..........but it kinda looks like when your cats hair is matted..................

Slyvie is a silver laced Wyandotte so she has silver/ white colors in her feathers and the others don't.....................

I am thinking I may want to pretend it is a problem and treat it...........just in case???
I would wait and see. I doubt it's lice of mites at this age and with no exposure to adult birds (or wild birds). I have only recently recalled the problems I had with lice when I was young. I haven't seen lice on the farm at all and I think it might be because all the chickens dust bathe freely on the farm.

Lice will show up first around the vent and later under their wings and on their heads. Just check their vents from time to time and you'll recognize a problem because you know what normal look like.

I'm so upset. Hubby and I were working outside all day trying to disassemble our pool. The winter did it in. couldn't handle 4 feet of ice. We were going up and down to check for eggs when we heard the egg song stop. Our last check of eggs we found our silkie Sally laying really funny. I picked her up and she was having a hard time breathing and couldn't hold her head up. She flapped her wings alot and I knew she was dying. I held her in my arms and she died.
hit.gif
I'm so upset. She was the 2nd chicken we ever bought. I had her for 2 years and bought her as an adult hen, not sure how old she was, the guy said she was 1 year old when I got her. She loved being a momma. RIP Ms. Sally

Lisa:

My two cents...but, if you don't like it wash it off....it is what it is

I'm so upset. Hubby and I were working outside all day trying to disassemble our pool. The winter did it in. couldn't handle 4 feet of ice. We were going up and down to check for eggs when we heard the egg song stop. Our last check of eggs we found our silkie Sally laying really funny. I picked her up and she was having a hard time breathing and couldn't hold her head up. She flapped her wings alot and I knew she was dying. I held her in my arms and she died.
hit.gif
I'm so upset. She was the 2nd chicken we ever bought. I had her for 2 years and bought her as an adult hen, not sure how old she was, the guy said she was 1 year old when I got her. She loved being a momma. RIP Ms. Sally

Bgirl : so sorry the older the girl the deeper it bites...to loose a matriarch of your flock is so sad

I would wait and see. I doubt it's lice of mites at this age and with no exposure to adult birds (or wild birds). I have only recently recalled the problems I had with lice when I was young. I haven't seen lice on the farm at all and I think it might be because all the chickens dust bathe freely on the farm.

Lice will show up first around the vent and later under their wings and on their heads. Just check their vents from time to time and you'll recognize a problem because you know what normal look like.

my chickens are almost one year old..................maybe 9 months...............

One chicken is 1.5 yrs old...............

I will check the vents etc.............just wasn't sure if you were thinking mine were younger?

Back
Top Bottom