Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm originally from Lancaster County, and now settled in Berks/Chester County (Elverson). With a (very active!) three-year-old son, I think I'm going to need start with pullets this time around. Anyone know of any one in Lancaster, Berks or Chester counties that may be selling started pullets this spring? I'm thinking around April. I'm going to have to visit some mud sales for a coop. Hmmm, now what breeds... (yup, I was browsing all day yesterday at work. window shopping, if you will.)

We only have 1/4 acre, with unfriendly zoning ordinances, so mum's the word. But, coming from a city flock in Springfield, Massachusetts on 1/10th of an acre, I'm a pro at clandestine activities!

I'm very close to you and I plan to have some started pullets later this spring. I have chicks now, and they are super easy to raise in your basement.

I have a list of the breeds we have and some pics here: http://www.eureka-farm.com

the couldn't have went to a better place...glad to hear that the are doing well for you....
boys do tolerate the cold better, maybe that goes for the eggs also..

The Rhodebars seem heavier than most of the other breeds we have, maybe the extra body mass makes them more cold tolerant. For sure in commercial breeds, sex-links perform better in cold weather than leghorns, supporting my body mass theory.

I'm originally from Lancaster County, and now settled in Berks/Chester County (Elverson).  With a (very active!) three-year-old son, I think I'm going to need start with pullets this time around.  Anyone know of any one in Lancaster, Berks or Chester counties that may be selling started pullets this spring?  I'm thinking around April.  I'm going to have to visit some mud sales for a coop.  Hmmm, now what breeds...  (yup, I was browsing all day yesterday at work.  window shopping, if you will.)

We only have 1/4 acre, with unfriendly zoning ordinances, so mum's the word.  But, coming from a city flock in Springfield, Massachusetts on 1/10th of an acre, I'm a pro at clandestine activities!
Pickering Valley Feed in Lionville. That's chester county they have chicks starting in a few weeks

I found out tonight that month old Legbars can jump, fly and run like pheasants!  A couple got loose in the basement. At least it wasn't as bad as the quail escapees we had once.

Judging from what my customers want, 2015 is the year of the dark egg layers. Everyone wants on the waiting list for either Welsummers or Marans. If you've got the ability to produce chicks of either one, better start up those incubators.

The cold weather has really put the hurt on egg production, most the breeds are laying at 50% or less, the sole exception being the Rhodebars, they just keep on going. By far the best layers in this cold snap. Many thanks to wingstone for my original stock. Now, if only they would hatch 50% female, This last hatch I set about 50 eggs and got 42 chicks, only 15 are pullets. Maybe next week the hatch will even thing out.

Next time I get some chickens, I definitely. Want some dark egg layers...

I'm originally from Lancaster County, and now settled in Berks/Chester County (Elverson).  With a (very active!) three-year-old son, I think I'm going to need start with pullets this time around.  Anyone know of any one in Lancaster, Berks or Chester counties that may be selling started pullets this spring?  I'm thinking around April.  I'm going to have to visit some mud sales for a coop.  Hmmm, now what breeds...  (yup, I was browsing all day yesterday at work.  window shopping, if you will.)

We only have 1/4 acre, with unfriendly zoning ordinances, so mum's the word.  But, coming from a city flock in Springfield, Massachusetts on 1/10th of an acre, I'm a pro at clandestine activities!

Haha! Me too!

Quote: by using your theory, I shouldn't be so cold.
smack.gif

Good morning all! I am in need of my NEIGHBORS. I need some of you to be NEIGHBORLY please. :D My Aunt in Bradford County is looking to refresh her small flock. These are her preferences, and I will pick them up from you and deliver to her. She was going to go to Tractor supply, and I told her I have friends who can do better than that.

Her needs:

-4-5 hens only
-decent layers, not particular about breed
-very cold hardy, they tend to get lake effect snow and have colder winters
- One of the chicks a BO if possible, variety of others if possible
- chicks
-available in about 2-4 weeks...

Can anybody help? @dheltzel, @chiques chicks. :smack

Good morning all! I am in need of my NEIGHBORS. I need some of you to be NEIGHBORLY please.
big_smile.png
My Aunt in Bradford County is looking to refresh her small flock. These are her preferences, and I will pick them up from you and deliver to her. She was going to go to Tractor supply, and I told her I have friends who can do better than that.

Her needs:

-4-5 hens only
- chicks

Can anybody help? @dheltzel , @chiques chicks .
smack.gif

I don't know anyone breeding BO's in this area, and they likely can't sex them if they did. I wish I could "vent sex" chicks, but it's a tough skill to learn.

The breed I have that are readily sexable at hatch: Rhodebars, Legbars, Welsummers, Sexlinks (blue eggs, cross of Barred Hollands and Ameracaunas).
I should have all of those in the time frame you are looking for.

Good morning all! I am in need of my NEIGHBORS. I need some of you to be NEIGHBORLY please. :D My Aunt in Bradford County is looking to refresh her small flock. These are her preferences, and I will pick them up from you and deliver to her. She was going to go to Tractor supply, and I told her I have friends who can do better than that.

Her needs:

-4-5 hens only
- chicks

Can anybody help? @dheltzel, @chiques chicks. :smack

I have Orpington eggs in the incubator as of yesterday, but they aren't buff and I can't vent sex. Ditto on Swedish flower.

I don't know anyone breeding BO's in this area, and they likely can't sex them if they did. I wish I could "vent sex" chicks, but it's a tough skill to learn.

The breed I have that are readily sexable at hatch: Rhodebars, Legbars, Welsummers, Sexlinks (blue eggs, cross of Barred Hollands and Ameracaunas).
I should have all of those in the time frame you are looking for.

Thanks! That sounds great. Could I get her one of each of those, if your think they would fit her needs of cold hardiness. Sounds like they would make a nice variety. I think it's more important to her that she have all pulltets than have a BO. What are your prices for those approximately? Just want to make sure I am not making her go broke. ;) Let me know when they will be available please. :D

Quote: go back a few post, he has a very nice page set up with everything he has.....i have passed this page on to others.....

just a recommendation from some newbies looking at that page, they have no idea what the egg color means. maybe post a few with the eggs, some do not understand that a brown egg can be many different shades.

Back
Top Bottom