Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Dhetzel.....................I am thinking I will be ordering chicks from you this year..............one question I forgot to ask and thought maybe others might have as well is about the
shots chicks get to prevent diseases............

Do you do any of that?

Hatcheries often give them these immunizations or whatever..............have to look up again what the common diseases are they protect against..........

Vaccination is not practical for small time hatchers, they come in 1000 dose bottles that have to be used within a few hours. Many hatcheries offer Mareks vaccines as an added cost option, but few do it to all their chicks. Some even go so far as to say they don't recommend it for small flocks, though I'm not sure why. I haven't encountered Marek's so my experience is not that helpful. I think most diseases are not transmitted though eggs to chicks, so my thinking is that the chicks are isolated from the parents while small, and I generally sell the chicks before they ever get to the farm where they would encounter the older chickens.

So now that I raised the vaccination question..............of course I have more questions!

I went to the learning center articles here at byc and read a bit.

they have a biosecurity article for non commercial poultry owners.........

one idea was this

h) Keep the airborne viruses, bacteria, and fungi in check by fogging or spraying your coop once a week with a product suitable for this purpose. It’s best to fog your coop with a product approved for use while the birds are present. Most products cannot be used this way and you must be sure before you begin, whether your birds need to be removed. Your goal should be to disinfect hard surfaces and to knock any airborne pathogens out of the air (and kill them in the process).

so do you all do this?

do you fog or spray your coops? I have never done this...............I only have 3 chickens but...............

I have had some mice and even a few rats in the past.

I have put up traps to reduce and hopefully eliminate the population.............but there is always possibilities of problems with their droppings.................

I only put food in the chickens feeder that is suspended from a cord.......and some daily treats in a bowl.............which the chickens eat each day...........so there is not food sitting around.

do you think mice and other rodents can get into the suspended feeders?

they also recommended keeping your new chicks separate from the older chickens for 6 months!
now that is longer than I had imagined!

do you guys do this?

My plan was to clean out the coop this spring once its warmer............and disinfect the surfaces using a vinegar and water combo and a scrub brush on a long handle.............. also raking out the run and putting in some new wood chips ..........

in the winter I use the deep liter method but have to admit I have not added as much new pine shavings this year...........its seems dry and not too bad in there............. maybe I should add more?

I would love to hear from you all about your biosecurity measures .................for the small backyard flock
1. do you fog or spray your coop?
2. mice and rodent droppings and biosecurity...............ideas...........and how to keep them out of the food etc
3. chicks away from older chickens for 6 months.................seems kinda a long time..................how long do you do it?
4. visitors to your backyard..................do you spray their shoes? my friends come over to feed the chickens all the time.........
my chickens stay in the coop and run in the winter but free range in nice weather. There is
always going to be stuff encountered when free ranging..............what is a reasonable plan?

once you start to raise these questions a whole lot of new questions and anxieties are raised..............how do chickens ever survive in the wild?

So now that I raised the vaccination question..............of course I have more questions!

they have a biosecurity article for non commercial poultry owners.........

one idea was this

h) Keep the airborne viruses, bacteria, and fungi in check by fogging or spraying your coop once a week with a product suitable for this purpose. It’s best to fog your coop with a product approved for use while the birds are present. Most products cannot be used this way and you must be sure before you begin, whether your birds need to be removed. Your goal should be to disinfect hard surfaces and to knock any airborne pathogens out of the air (and kill them in the process).

so do you all do this?

do you fog or spray your coops? I have never done this...............I only have 3 chickens but...............

I have had some mice and even a few rats in the past.

I have put up traps to reduce and hopefully eliminate the population.............but there is always possibilities of problems with their droppings.................

I only put food in the chickens feeder that is suspended from a cord.......and some daily treats in a bowl.............which the chickens eat each day...........so there is not food sitting around.

do you think mice and other rodents can get into the suspended feeders?

they also recommended keeping your new chicks separate from the older chickens for 6 months!

do you guys do this?

My plan was to clean out the coop this spring once its warmer............and disinfect the surfaces using a vinegar and water combo and a scrub brush on a long handle.............. also raking out the run and putting in some new wood chips ..........

in the winter I use the deep liter method but have to admit I have not added as much new pine shavings this year...........its seems dry and not too bad in there............. maybe I should add more?

I would love to hear from you all about your biosecurity measures .................for the small backyard flock
1. do you fog or spray your coop?
2. mice and rodent droppings and biosecurity...............ideas...........and how to keep them out of the food etc
3. chicks away from older chickens for 6 months.................seems kinda a long time..................how long do you do it?
4. visitors to your backyard..................do you spray their shoes? my friends come over to feed the chickens all the time.........
my chickens stay in the coop and run in the winter but free range in nice weather. There is
always going to be stuff encountered when free ranging..............what is a reasonable plan?

once you start to raise these questions a whole lot of new questions and anxieties are raised..............how do chickens ever survive in the wild?

Lisa:

For my two cents:

Since you have a flock any new arrivals would need a 30 day quarantine ...I have sets of foot wear for my backyard and others for other places...I ask folks who have chooks about their footwear when they visit, and most know bio-security....I don't do the deep liter....I clean and keep it dry...lastly, chooks have survived as long as man has...they are more resilient than you think....

they have a biosecurity  article for non commercial poultry owners.........

one idea was this

[COLOR=333333]h)      Keep the airborne viruses, bacteria, and fungi in check by fogging or spraying your coop once a week with a product suitable for this purpose. It’s best to fog your coop with a product approved for use while the birds are present. Most products cannot be used this way and you must be sure before you begin, whether your birds need to be removed. Your goal should be to disinfect hard surfaces and to knock any airborne pathogens out of the air (and kill them in the process).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]so do you all do this?     [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]do you fog or spray your coops?   I have never done this...............I only have 3 chickens but...............[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I have had some mice and even a few rats in the past. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I have put up traps to reduce and hopefully eliminate the population.............but there is always possibilities of problems with their droppings.................[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I only put food in the chickens feeder that is suspended from a cord.......and some daily treats in a bowl.............which the chickens eat each day...........so there is not food sitting around.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]do you think mice and other rodents can get into the suspended feeders? [/COLOR]

do you guys do this?

My plan was to clean out the coop this spring once its warmer............and disinfect the surfaces using a vinegar and water combo and a scrub brush on a long handle..............    also raking out the run and putting in some new wood chips ..........

1.  do you fog or spray your coop?
2.  mice and rodent droppings and biosecurity...............ideas...........and how to keep them out of the food etc 
3.  chicks away from older chickens for 6 months.................seems kinda a long time..................how long do you do it?
4.  visitors to your backyard..................do you spray their shoes?   my friends come over to feed the chickens all the time.........
                                                             my chickens stay in the coop and run in the winter but free range in nice weather.   There is

1: Nope, I clean as needed & use Ivermectin 2-3 times per year for parisites.
2: I have cats to keep the rodents out of my feed. All grew up with the birds & can be trusted with even the littlest chicks.
3: Mine get tossed out as soon as they are big enough to hold their own against whoever is in the pen I want to add them to.
4: Nobody goes in my pens except me & my kids.

Welcome new people!

Chicks now? Only 120 quail eggs and two dozen chicken eggs in the incubator.

Keeping mice out of feed? I store it in metal trash cans. Don't worry about the coop.

My runs are large and open, not much reason to worry about bio, wild birds are in there all the time. I just hope for the best.

Plenty of people here with lots of breeds that are willing to share.

Are there bio concerns with open walks? We are planning on letting our birds use our side yard, around 20'x40', sharing with our dog

Back
Top Bottom