Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Wingstone I'll be taking the Rhodebars up north to my farm in ulster Pa theyll be in bradfotd county in no time lol

Fisherlady 2 of my Silkie Roos have the most god awful unclear crow ive ever heard and my hens are full of little noise odd whistles and trilling chirps
They are neat little birds!! My buddy and I started out with a group of 11 chickens we bought of craigslist from a lady for $15.
Of the mixed group of layers were these weirdo looking birds with feathery feet.
My buddy instantly was like axe em and soup pot for sure. We wanted chicks soley for meat and eggs since we are leaving to start a homestead. But I convinced him to just see what these birds
Will bring to the table and give me somrtime to research them... well let's just say they went from being on the dinner table to expanding on a little flock and being our hatchery birds.
I fell in love with them for this use and their demeanor is very peaceful. My birds I can just pick up and hold for as long as I want to pet them

TMC Warning!!! (Too Much Cuteness)

4 Midget White turkey poults (and some Rhodebar and Ameracauna chicks as "tutors")

Yes, they VIP's (Very Important Poults) in our brooder.

Wingstone I'll be taking the Rhodebars up north to my farm in ulster Pa theyll be in bradfotd county in no time lol

Fisherlady 2 of my Silkie Roos have the most god awful unclear crow ive ever heard and my hens are full of little noise odd whistles and trilling chirps
They are neat little birds!! My buddy and I started out with a group of 11 chickens we bought of craigslist from a lady for $15.
Of the mixed group of layers were these weirdo looking birds with feathery feet.
My buddy instantly was like axe em and soup pot for sure. We wanted chicks soley for meat and eggs since we are leaving to start a homestead. But I convinced him to just see what these birds
Will bring to the table and give me somrtime to research them... well let's just say they went from being on the dinner table to expanding on a little flock and being our hatchery birds.
I fell in love with them for this use and their demeanor is very peaceful. My birds I can just pick up and hold for as long as I want to pet them

Someone in the Northwest was just inquiring about sources for silkies.... if you have any to sell just go back a few pages and check....

I am strongly considering getting Gracie a boyfriend and moving her and a few of the other smalls into another coop, they hold their own in the coop, but would probably be happier without some of the big birds around bothering them. It will have to wait for spring though, because building projects just aren't an option in this weather! LOL

I have found a lady near halifax that has some amazing silkies. Its where 2 of my boys came from. But at this time she is not releasing any hens. Ive started hatching out chix and have more in the incubator this week. So far I have a nice black partridge pullet that I have big hopes for.
Gracie needs a hubby lol my silkies I housed in with GP (general pop) but I now have runs sectioned off inside my coop for pairing them up and I'm getting more eggs per clutch that way. They lay good in GP and my group didnt bother the pair. But now I have a few different silkies things needed to change as far as living quarters went.

Last edited:
Someone in the Northwest was just inquiring about sources for silkies.... if you have any to sell just go back a few pages and check....

I am strongly considering getting Gracie a boyfriend and moving her and a few of the other smalls into another coop, they hold their own in the coop, but would probably be happier without some of the big birds around bothering them.  It will have to wait for spring though, because building projects just aren't an option in this weather! LOL

It's a shame you're so far, you could have my Silkie Roo. I know you said your Hubby goes through Bradford County sometimes, I will be heading there in a couple weeks if you at interested. :D

I'm heading to Bradford County soon. I'll be in Athens, I'll wave! :D. Love that Nirchi's pizza... :drool

hi all from Womelsdorf Pa...Lancaster/Rehrersburg (Berks county). Got pointed in this direction to see if anyone has any fertilized eggs they would part with cheap. I did a home made incubator and wanted to try out some of my barnyard mix eggs before buying maran eggs but have since learned that my cochins roos won't be doing roo stuff for many more months. had heard they matured late- but didn't know it meant a year or more. I do have 2 barred rocks who are hanging out in a different location on my property- but the switching around that would have to happen I think is more stress than the girls need. I would be willing to give the chicks back if that is something you would be interested in- if I am successful, but am not holding my breath since I am brand new to this aspect. I have only been at chickens at all for just under a year so I am learning as I go. Glad to see Pa is a busy chicken place. :)

hi all from Womelsdorf Pa...Lancaster/Rehrersburg (Berks county).   Got pointed in this direction to see if anyone has any fertilized eggs they would part with cheap.   I did a home made incubator and wanted to try out some of my barnyard mix eggs before buying maran eggs but have since learned that my cochins roos won't be doing roo stuff for many more  months.  had heard they matured late- but didn't know it meant a year or more.   I do have 2 barred rocks who are hanging out in a different location on my property- but the switching around that would have to happen I think is more stress than the girls need.   I would be willing to give the chicks back if that is something you would be interested in- if I am successful,  but am not holding my breath since I am brand new to this aspect.  I have only been at chickens at all for just under a year so I am learning as I go.   Glad to see Pa is a busy chicken place.   :)

Welcome!

The question isn't does anyone have some, the question is who closest to you has some!

Wingstone and I are in mount joy, troyer is in the Denver area, and there are others around, too. Most have something hatchable most of the time.

hi all from Womelsdorf Pa...Lancaster/Rehrersburg (Berks county).   Got pointed in this direction to see if anyone has any fertilized eggs they would part with cheap.   I did a home made incubator and wanted to try out some of my barnyard mix eggs before buying maran eggs but have since learned that my cochins roos won't be doing roo stuff for many more  months.  had heard they matured late- but didn't know it meant a year or more.   I do have 2 barred rocks who are hanging out in a different location on my property- but the switching around that would have to happen I think is more stress than the girls need.   I would be willing to give the chicks back if that is something you would be interested in- if I am successful,  but am not holding my breath since I am brand new to this aspect.  I have only been at chickens at all for just under a year so I am learning as I go.   Glad to see Pa is a busy chicken place.   :)

Welcome! Hatching eggs are never hard to find here. Enjoy!:D

I have an update on Wynter. Over the past couple days, he's been up and moving around a lot more. I ended up draining shine of the blisters on his feet since they looked like balloons and seemed so painful to walk around. I'm still doing the warm water/lavender essential oil for soaks and I think he enjoys it for the most part. His feet still look ugly but now the swelling has gone down and he's not afraid to walk around. The hole in his crop seems to be shrinking too. I smother it with Neosporin every morning after his foot soak (he trends to soak his crop in it too) and every evening before bed. I think he finally stopped picking at it so it's starting to heal.

Napping in the warm water

FOOD!

Wynter was originally destined for freezer camp but if he makes a full recovery, I don't think I can send him there. He's survived an awful lot in the roughly 3 months since he hatched. He almost died getting out from under mom, he had that giant scalping on the back of his neck and now this. So if anyone wants a pair of wheaten Marans this spring, I have a wheaten pullet that can go with him.

Welcome!

The question isn't does anyone have some, the question is who closest to you has some!

Wingstone and I are in mount joy, troyer is in the Denver area, and there are others around, too. Most have something hatchable most of the time.

I'll add that Troyer has some awesome chooks....though not the type to be kept in a run (I think?)

Back
Top Bottom