Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Need a little advice, just came in from the coop and I have a female turkey who is pretty bloody. I'm thinking it may be a breeding mishap because it's her back. I'm going to put her in the giant cage in the garage and clean her up, try to access her injury better.

What's best to put on it, neosporin, bacitracin? I'm heading to tractor supply and rite aid so I can get whatever is needed.

She is eating but appears to be in pain. :'(

@Dheltzel. The chicks are doing quite well. If you have any pics of the adults, can you post them so I can show the family what they look like when they are full grown? Thanks!

Need a little advice, just came in from the coop and I have a female turkey who is pretty bloody. I'm thinking it may be a breeding mishap because it's her back. I'm going to put her in the giant cage in the garage and clean her up, try to access her injury better.

What's best to put on it, neosporin, bacitracin? I'm heading to tractor supply and rite aid so I can get whatever is needed.

H:

Neosporin would be my go to....I have been surprised at how fast a chick can heal a wound....my two cents.

You can use Verericyn, it works well on all poultry injuries and really speeds up healing. You can buy it at tractor supply and can use it on almost any animal injuries, even eye injuries.

You can also use Neosporin, but make sure it doesn't contain pain relief cause that could poison your bird.

I've never tried it but you can also try making Dakin's Solution, they use it at hospitals to treat wounds and I've heard of people using it on poultry injuries with great results. I think the recipe is 4 cups distilled water, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons Clorox Bleach. If you want to try that you should Google the recipe to be sure.

Good luck.

@Dheltzel . The chicks are doing quite well. If you have any pics of the adults, can you post them so I can show the family what they look like when they are full grown? Thanks!

I recognize the little Welsummer at the bottom!
I have a bunch of pics on our website (click on the breeds, listed near the bottom of the page): www. eureka-farm.com

My turkey hen had a really bad injury on her side last summer and we didn't find it until well after the flies had.
sickbyc.gif
We cleaned it up with dish soap and water in a squirt bottle, applied Swat to get the maggots out ( and they practically threw themselves off after the Swat was put on), we then used iodine in a spray bottle and spayed it everyday, then we would apply triple antibiotic every other day, we also gave her an oral antibiotic mixed up in scrambled eggs everyday. She healed up good as new, she is almost 10 now and is a pet.

Last edited:

My choice is Blu-kote (beware, it stains everything purple) for disinfection & then neosporin to keep the wound moist for healing for a couple days, then just blu-kote as needed after that.

I have been peed on. pooped on, scratched, bitten, flogged. barfed on and kicked a few times today....

I will sooth the battle scars by cleaning my plate at dinner...

nothing like having your food supply in your own back yard.

Back
Top Bottom