Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Is there any way to tell americauna chicks apart at about 2 to 3 weeks old? My TSC just got them in and I'm considering buying a couple.

Look at combs. Very flat with a single row of bumps are female. Males have 3 rows of bumps with the center row being much more prominent & the entire comb a bit more raised than the females. Feather rate is also a fairly reliable indicator in hatchery chicks. The females tend to have much longer wing feathers than the males until about 4-5 weeks old. Females will often have 2 rows of wing feathers compared to a single row on a male at a few days old.

Does anyone here feed chicken heads to their dogs? I don't like to waste any part of the bird and we butchered 4 boys on Sunday. Isaved the heads for the dogs but I'm not sure how to feed them to them. Frozen? Remove the feathers? Thawed? For the record, my dogs eat grain free kibble so they're nor used to bones or anything. They do get raw meat and eggs on occasion. Another question too. Would they eat the chicken heads then associate the living chickens with food? Thanks!

Does anyone here feed chicken heads to their dogs? I don't like to waste any part of the bird and we butchered 4 boys on Sunday. Isaved the heads for the dogs but I'm not sure how to feed them to them. Frozen? Remove the feathers? Thawed? For the record, my dogs eat grain free kibble so they're nor used to bones or anything. They do get raw meat and eggs on occasion. Another question too. Would they eat the chicken heads then associate the living chickens with food? Thanks!

I give all my butchering scraps to the cats, raw. My cats don't mess with my birds, but they were born in a brooder beside the chick brooder.

Back
Top Bottom