Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Some progress I made on my sister's coop today... this was after all the framing but before the windows and siding went on. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow morning when I go back to finish up, it was too dark for pictures by the time I stopped working tonight. Not too bad for a days work while also watching and tending to a baby! :)

Looks great! Keep up the great work!

From what we read online it said about 1 year. After we bought the tilapia, hubby was doing more research and found a guy in Florida that said 2 years before harvest. I know they will NOT survive the winters outside. We thought that we would have been able to harvest them before winter (from what we read before we got them). We actually just have them in one of the blow up pools outside. It's about 3,000 gallons, We bought a I think it was a 12 foot blow up pool for them. We had a huge home made pond for the koi but it sprung a leak and we couldn't find the leak and lost a ton of koi.

Over the winter, in the basement, we had them in one of the little 6 foot blow up pools. They did great and actually bred in it. They grew very nicely in it as well. I have the blue tilapia. They are more tolerant of colder water, so it gives us some time to get them in for the winter. Of course we want to keep a breeder group so we can have more tilapia growing out when we want more! I can't wait to eat them lol.

This picture was from over the winter of our inside set up. This winter we are doing things differently, We are building wooden boxes for them to go into. Takes up less ground space and we can go higher for more gallons. If there is a will, there is a way. Taking pictures of fish is so hard for me lol We had some minnows in this pool with them. I will update you on the size they are now when we catch them for the winter. They I would guesstamate around a foot long for the most of them, some are smaller.

This is a picture of the pool outside now with the koi.

Thats so awesome!

heading to the Allentown Fair with my whole family!! Sad that there won't be birds. But I'm happy to see the goats and am staying for the Jim Gaffigan Concert, woo hoo!
LOL !!!

Some progress I made on my sister's coop today... this was after all the framing but before the windows and siding went on. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow morning when I go back to finish up, it was too dark for pictures by the time I stopped working tonight. Not too bad for a days work while also watching and tending to a baby! :)
Sweet!!

I am looking for a buff cochin bantam and a partridge cochin bantam. If anyone has one to sell or needs to rehome for free, please let me know.

Last edited:
As my last post alludes to, I'm feeling much better. Still weak from not eating (hey maybe I lost some weight!), but the pain and "fog" seems to be gone.

Yesterday we moved the turkey tractor and found a nest with 5 eggs. The Midget Whites that were hatched in late Feb or March are starting to lay! That's younger than a lot of the heritage chicken breeds we have. I wonder if I could selectively breed MW's for egg laying and sell turkey eggs for eating?

I asked my niece to only save CCL and Welbar eggs from now on, going to start slowing down for the end of the season. Makes me a bit sad, but it has been a lot of extra work. If anyone is interested in any chicks or keets, let me know soon. Of course friends from here get "special" deals. Or if you want any of the eggs we are no longer saving (it's tough to think of someone just eating a fertile Welsummer egg).
Hi I was wonder where in pa are you and also how much? I'm in valley view pa

Back
Top Bottom