Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hubs' dad and step-mom got a bunch of chicks this spring and while they love having them, his dad just had back surgery and isn't able to manage chickens right now. They asked us if we wanted to take them but we just don't have the space or the time to build a new coop so we said we would help find them new homes. I need to talk to his step-mom to clarify all of this but I wanted to put some feelers out to see if anyone would want to adopt these birds. They live near Lehighton, but I'm sure they'd want me to pick them up and coordinate transport so they don't have to deal with people, lol. So, you don't need to be local to Lehighton... chicken train will be heading back to Pittsburgh/Beaver County and I can drop anywhere along the way. I believe there are 10-12 rhode island reds and a handful of bantams (mostly roos). I have some pictures from when we came down to visit in July. Hatch date was late April, she first posted pictures of the peeps on April 27.
Hi if they do decide to get rid of them I would be willing to take a few RiR ive actually been looking for a few more and a good RiR rooster if there is any and a few bantams if u would possibly drop some off if ur going my way i live in valley view, schuylkill county.

Anybody in Chester county know a good seed dealer I was thinking about growing my own corn and does anybody feed chickens milk

Anybody in Chester county know a good seed dealer I was thinking about growing my own corn and does anybody feed chickens milk

I've only ever heard of feeding dry milk as an emergency treatment for cocci which I used this spring. Other than that, I don't know of any other reasons to feed any kind of milk.

Last edited:
I've only ever heard of feeding dry milk as an emergency treatment for cocci which I used this spring. Other than that, I don't know of any other reasons to feed any kind of milk.

The reason I read for the milk was to mix it with corn to make a high protein mash in the winter but I don't know how true it is

The reason I read for the milk was to mix it with corn to make a high protein mash in the winter but I don't know how true it is

Milk is hard for chickens to digest. I'm pretty sure that they don't posess the digestive enzymes to break dairy down. Therefore it shouldn't be fed regularly because it can cause diarrhea which leads to dehydration and ultimately death. Very occasionally in small amounts is just fine though.

Now that is interesting, Chippy. Milk is fed for the calcium. It is given warm in a waterer in the winter as a treat. I've never before heard a negative effect. Of course, too much of anything is bad for anyone/anything.
I know you want to be a vet, so I completely believe you. It is just news to me.

This is eight days, minus three. I found one egg on the ground, and collected two before leaving. I looked in the tall grass. I will look again tomorrow for the other ten.
Now I have a question; Knowing that the eggs are fertile, and the temperatures have been in the 90s, would you eat them? Knowing how fast the heart begins to beat, I'm not sure.
Btw, I was expecting broodies. Despite being young, these girls ARE from fisher's very broody happy crew. I moved them to the huge pen for the grass, but also in hopes that the extra room would cut down on the chances of brooding being a boredom buster. Still surprised!

Back
Top Bottom