Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I do so miss LMP, she always had such sweet comments.

I 'think' both Stake and Wing are working a lot right now, but I'm not positive. I saw on FB that Wing got hit especially hard by a predator recently, the damage was quite extensive, such a shame.

I hope they stop in soon...how recent was wing hit? Sucks to happen anytime but especially for her with the meat birds...

Alrighty then, so 'Reese' is just referring to the line, not a different breed. Got it. I'm way behind on my CCL knowledge, these are a show line? Does that mean that the CCLs have been accepted into the Standard? I heard some buzz a few years ago about breeders trying to get them accepted, but I didn't think they'd been In the country long enough to be accepted into our Standard. Has this happened? I haven't seen any at shows yet. Maybe there will be some at the Massachusettes Show we're going to next month..
wee.gif
Exactly. The UK has had an SOP for a long time and Jill Reese is well known on the show circuit there, kind of like Paul Smith and John Blehm for Ameraucanas in the US. The group in the US is obviously working on a SOP that will be very close the one in the UK, so getting a show line imported was essential. I was concerned that they would not lay well, and there were reports that the eggs tend to green rather than blue, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by my birds so far. At least one pullet is producing very blue eggs. Egg color is very important to me, and fortunately easy to select for, so I will be holding back a group for next year of the chicks from the bluest eggs, then cull (to the laying flock) any that are obviously not good looking. I am not planning on showing them, but want the best looking birds and eggs to sell to the public since this line seems to be good layers and they look very unusual when they have a good "mohawk" crest.

I predict that the Reese line Legbars and the Welbars will be the "it" chickens of 2017. They are somewhat unknown now and I will probably sell more
Welsummers, BCM's and Ameraucanas this spring, but when someone comes to me looking for an Ameraucana (or Araucana or Easter Egger), they tend to leave with a different blue eggs layer (Black Sexlink or Legbar), and when they are looking for a BCM, I usually talk them into a Welsummer (or maybe this year a Welbar or Beilefelder). Having a popular breed gets them here so I can help them get the exact chick they really want, and being sexable is super important to most people.

[COLOR=0000FF]Alrighty then, so 'Reese' is just referring to the line, not a different breed. Got it. I'm way behind on my CCL knowledge, these are a show line? Does that mean that the CCLs have been accepted into the Standard? I heard some buzz a few years ago about breeders trying to get them accepted, but I didn't think they'd been In the country long enough to be accepted into our Standard. Has this happened? I haven't seen any at shows yet. Maybe there will be some at the Massachusettes Show we're going to next month.[/COLOR]. :weee

Exactly. The UK has had an SOP for a long time and Jill Reese is well known on the show circuit there, kind of like Paul Smith and John Blehm for Ameraucanas in the US. The group in the US is obviously working on a SOP that will be very close the one in the UK, so getting a show line imported was essential. I was concerned that they would not lay well, and there were reports that the eggs tend to green rather than blue, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by my birds so far. At least one pullet is producing very blue eggs. Egg color is very important to me, and fortunately easy to select for, so I will be holding back a group for next year of the chicks from the bluest eggs, then cull (to the laying flock) any that are obviously not good looking. I am not planning on showing them, but want the best looking birds and eggs to sell to the public since this line seems to be good layers and they look very unusual when they have a good "mohawk" crest.

I predict that the Reese line Legbars and the Welbars will be the "it" chickens of 2017. They are somewhat unknown now and I will probably sell more
Welsummers, BCM's and Ameraucanas this spring, but when someone comes to me looking for an Ameraucana (or Araucana or Easter Egger), they tend to leave with a different blue eggs layer (Black Sexlink or Legbar), and when they are looking for a BCM, I usually talk them into a Welsummer (or maybe this year a Welbar or Beilefelder). Having a popular breed gets them here so I can help them get the exact chick they really want, and being sexable is super important to most people.

That's a pretty good breeding strategy. Do you hang onto a few different cockerels to make sure they're not carrying an off color egg gene? I find with the Marans, it's important, but not as easy to cull for since you've got to grow out the sire's chicks to laying age before selecting.

The dog's eye was bulging last night. I called the vet, and they said not to worry. I haven't tortured him yet today. As long as he can close his eye, I am not sure I want to. Then again... Okay, I should add the lubricant. It only hurts when I have to hold his eye shut. It is for his own good though.

The dog's eye was bulging last night. I called the vet, and they said not to worry. I haven't tortured him yet today. As long as he can close his eye, I am not sure I want to. Then again... Okay, I should add the lubricant. It only hurts when I have to hold his eye shut. It is for his own good though.

Poor thing. Hope he will get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom