Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I hope there is a lot of demand for turkey poults. Yesterday I collected 8 eggs from the 6 Black Mottled hens. Not sure how that happened, they are normally not very clever about hiding eggs, but perhaps I was distracted the previous day. Fertility has not been great (which is ok, I don't think I can sell as many as the eggs they produce), but 2 more Midget Whites hatched yesterday.

I free ranged another tom, that makes 5 that are prowling around the farm, gobbling whenever they hear a loud noise. At least that is a lot more pleasant to the ear than those guineas shrieking. Has anyone here had much experience free-ranging turkeys? Is there any certain age that they do better? Maybe I can find a broody hen and switch her eggs with some turkey eggs that are close to hatch and let her teach them the ways of the farm. It'd be funny watching a hen try to get a flock of month old turkeys under her wings at night.

I don't think I would purposely free-range a turkey... seems like a bad idea ecologically. We lost a turkey last summer (just disappeared) and hubs swore he saw it once in the woods behind our house months later (he actually thought it was one of our current turkeys but then did a head count and found they were all accounted for). So it seems we unintentionally free-ranged a turkey when it 'flew the coop', and other than the one sighting, it hasn't been back. I think bourbon reds in particular are close enough to wild turkeys that they can become feral. I'm not sure if they can interbreed with wild turkeys (honestly, I don't see why not), but that would not be a good thing for the wild turkey population from an ecological standpoint.

@dheltzel I have never intentionally free ranged turkey, but...
My first flock regularly for the coop (run) at whatever she they figured it out. Of course I'd herd them back to feed them.
My current run is enclosed, but I have the three wild type and two royal palms that showed up and stayed free ranging on the property. I don't know their she, but the toms beards are just starting to show, so I would estimate they are around 6 months. It is so cool to look up in the evening and see them roosting 20-30 feet up in a dead tree! The other day I was out feeding the goats and the the wild type decided to fly 100 yard across the road to the neighbors yard and field. Right over my head. They are so amazing in flight.

I had 4 that were doing pretty well, all hanging together and roosting on a hay wagon in the big machine shed. I let a 5th one go, expecting him to hang with the others, but after a day he decided to wander off on his own. He scared the neighbors horses (such sissies, those horses) and had been recaptured. I suppose I should just sell him for meat . . .

Last year, I saw a royal palm turkey in person the very first time. It's so gorgeous! Unfortunately, he is kind of people-aggressive, so DH wouldn't allow me to have one. Maybe he will change his mind after we meet a friendly one.

Last year, I saw a royal palm turkey in person the very first time. It's so gorgeous! Unfortunately, he is kind of people-aggressive, so DH wouldn't allow me to have one. Maybe he will change his mind after we meet a friendly one.

I think the trick is to hand raise them, none of mine have ever been people-aggressive, but perhaps I just got lucky. The Royal Palms I have are not very tame, I didn't spend as much time with them as some of the mottled blacks and midget whites. How much you handle them when young makes a huge difference in how they behave later.

I think bourbon reds in particular are close enough to wild turkeys that they can become feral. I'm not sure if they can interbreed with wild turkeys (honestly, I don't see why not), but that would not be a good thing for the wild turkey population from an ecological standpoint.

They can definitely interbreed. My one hen is eastern wild x Bourbon red. She's a sweet heart though.

I forgot to give you all an update on miss Penny! She moved back or to the coop about 2 days ago and is back to acting totally normal. She had managed to start to eat again and started pooping again and just being herself so I put her back out. All I did was feed her, water her, cuddle her, and gave her a warm bath. I all don't know what her issue is but she's out there now, running around in the straw in the run lol

I forgot to give you all an update on miss Penny! She moved back or to the coop about 2 days ago and is back to acting totally normal. She had managed to start to eat again and started pooping again and just being herself so I put her back out. All I did was feed her, water her, cuddle her, and gave her a warm bath. I all don't know what her issue is but she's out there now, running around in the straw in the run lol

That is awesome! Maybe just a bug she managed to fight off with your extra TLC!
thumbsup.gif

I feed everyone, regardless of age or species about 22% grower/starter. Everyone does fine on it. I just make sure that there's oyster shell for my layers. My poults from last spring grew up big and strong
smile.png
occasionally, I'd make them a scrambled egg or something but really didn't add much extra protein than that.

I like that idea!
What brand to you use and where do you get it? I am so urban--I have to drive to a TSC or Oxford Grain and Hay to get feed!

Great news! I'm so glad to hear that she is doing good again.

I think the trick is to hand raise them, none of mine have ever been people-aggressive, but perhaps I just got lucky. The Royal Palms I have are not very tame, I didn't spend as much time with them as some of the mottled blacks and midget whites. How much you handle them when young makes a huge difference in how they behave later.

Too bad that we will not see your turkeys, since they will go to bed after sun set. I believe if DH sees some friendly turkeys, he would not be against them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom