Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well I have checked the shelter that someone mentioned in holidays burg. And many owes along with pet finder, pennswoods, Craigslist, shelters, Lancaster puppies.com

I strongly advise against getting a dog from Lancasterpuppiescom. Lancaster is notorious for its abusive and unsanitary puppy mills. I know people who have gotten dogs from that website only to find they have poor health and diseases like Parvo. I recommend going to a shelter in your area. There are plenty of dogs that are put down in shelters each year. You may not get the exact breed you want but you'll be giving an animal a well-deserved home. Good luck!

You are going to hate me for giving you those two for foster chicks! LOL

Nah. It's awesome to see them leading around babies. They just drive me crazy with their stubbornness lol

I strongly advise against getting a dog from Lancasterpuppiescom. Lancaster is notorious for its abusive and unsanitary puppy mills. I know people who have gotten dogs from that website only to find they have poor health and diseases like Parvo. I recommend going to a shelter in your area. There are plenty of dogs that are put down in shelters each year. You may not get the exact breed you want but you'll be giving an animal a well-deserved home. Good luck!

X2

Way behind on posts. Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Also, got a meat bird question. Anyone know what preprocessing weight should be on Cornish Cross? My son is raising some for Fair, but they are looking ready to me and we've still got almost 5 weeks till Fair.

My first egg! From my smallest hen! They are 17 weeks!

Our girls are 17 weeks old today and we got our first egg. It is just a tiny thing. I am not sure which of my girls laid the egg I am thinking it was our SLW. Hope the eggs get bigger. Very Eggcited

:celebrate

Be careful. Shelters often have Parvo as well and will not tell you!

[COLOR=0000FF]​Way behind on posts.  Just wanted to say hi to everyone.  Also, got a meat bird question.  Anyone know what preprocessing weight should be on Cornish Cross?  My son is raising some for Fair, but they are looking ready to me and we've still got almost 5 weeks till Fair.[/COLOR]

@fisherlady

:weee

Our girls are 17 weeks old today and we got our first egg. It is just a tiny thing. I am not sure which of my girls laid the egg I am thinking it was our SLW. Hope the eggs get bigger. Very Eggcited

Congratulations! These girls are early layers! I got my first egg last week when my girls were 19 weeks. It's also from my smallest hen.

Something very bad is going on. I just went to look for today's eggs. I didn't see any. I did smell something dead. It is not that hot today (not sure what happened, but I am not complaining!) so there should not have been a dead broody. There on the floor was Bonnie (the mean one due in a few days) she was not dead. In the box was Stevie. She is not dead. She does contain the stench though. I am going with a chick hatched, and was killed. Or... I have smelled broody poo. I have had a broody with a rotten egg. This really was a dead smell. Any ideas?

did u fart?

[COLOR=0000FF]​Way behind on posts.  Just wanted to say hi to everyone.  Also, got a meat bird question.  Anyone know what preprocessing weight should be on Cornish Cross?  My son is raising some for Fair, but they are looking ready to me and we've still got almost 5 weeks till Fair.[/COLOR]

We try to process after 7lb mark....on average I figure you will get about 70% of live weight on initial process (for me initial process is just done like an average turkey, gutted, no organs and neck removed)
On average you will get a 5lb broiler from a 7.5-8.0 lb live weight bird, nice roaster size and great for parting out. If you like bigger wings you will want to wait till they hit the 8lb+ size.

The best time to process from a financial angle is determined by weighing the birds every 3 days or so and tracking their weight gain rate vs their food consumption rate. They do sort of plateau with regards to the weight gain, once they hit around 9 lbs your losses to congestive heart failure and leg problems increase greatly which offsets any potential benefit from extra meat.

Keeping them healthy past the 10 week stage is difficult and if that is the plan then they actually need managed for extra age from the time they are a couple of weeks old, they need more focus on portion and protein control to allow a bit slower growth and they need to be encouraged to be more active and move around more and even to forage, it will help keep their feet and legs in better condition and reduce the severity of heart failure.

Typically we aim to butcher between 8-10 weeks, we process in smaller groups to remove birds which have hit our preferred size range and to take care of any which are showing any concerning health signs (sluggish behavior, poor color, fluid retention or limping)

If they are looking ready to you and there is still 5 weeks to fair then you may run into trouble with their health,(especially since it's the hottest time of year) hopefully not, but a definite toss up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom