Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

They look great! But the mandatory question is, only three? ;)
x2!

We'd love to have you! Its lovely in this country. And you can have guns. :)

Oh that smell! How terrible it is!

I just looked up a pukeko, what a gorgeous bird! Especially cool that he mingles with your ducks!

Me too!

Settlement is in 40 days... I figure I'll need a week to settle in before I get my girls back. Then Dheltzel, I'll be arranging a pickup!
wee.gif
ya.gif
Do you plan to take Bielefelders? They are great birds! Big, calm, beautiful, large eggs, and will keep your flock peaceful. The sex-links are also awesome: great blue egg layers and kid-friendly. All my chickens are friendly, but Brownie is the only one always let little kids pet her.

Settlement is in 40 days... I figure I'll need a week to settle in before I get my girls back. Then Dheltzel, I'll be arranging a pickup!
wee.gif
Good for you! Will you have a coop right away or has my bad habit of "just in time" coop building rubbed off?
It's about time to start scavenging the farm for new places to put chickens this winter. Or I could start to finally show a bit of restraint this year . . . nah, where's the fun in that?

Maybe you will take so many that I won't need to build any new coops.

celebrate.gif
Yaah for Brownie! She has good heredity behind her. Can you tell a difference in color comparing her egg to the Legbar? My theory is that she has only a single blue egg gene and will lay a lighter eggs from the start, but the sexlinks from last year are laying very light blue eggs now and my other theory is that they have laid so many eggs that they simply are running low on the blue pigment (hardly something to fault them for). It could be both are contributing factors, but I don't recall if the sexlinks laid really blue eggs at first.
I think her eggs are slightly lighter blue than legbar's, but definitely blue, maybe similar to lighter color legbar eggs I saw at your place. Considering she lays everyday, so it's understandable that they are not as blue as legbar's. I didn't think it was her and thought it's Dolly the legbar, because Brownie's comb is actually pink instead of red. The two legbars have best comb development and should start very soon. I suspect my chickens start laying early because I kept them on high-protein chick starter for 3 month and then on 19% protein grower until last week.

ya.gif
Do you plan to take Bielefelders? They are great birds! Big, calm, beautiful, large eggs, and will keep your flock peaceful. The sex-links are also awesome: great blue egg layers and kid-friendly. All my chickens are friendly, but Brownie is the only one always let little kids pet her.
Those sexlinks are intriguing. A friend that has a bunch growing out commented yesterday about how wild and uncontrollable they are. I think they are just more intelligent (I wonder if inbreeding reduces intelligence in some way) and recognize danger, or friends, more readily. Every sexlink that I have gotten reports and pics about has been the hands down favorite of the kids that raised them. Not sure why that is, but it seems too consistent to be chance. Even compared to Legbars they win the personality contests, and that's saying something because I have gotten a lot of rave reviews of legbars from people that did not also get sexlinks.

I am trying to get Biels to hatch for Anne. They are very problematic for me, along with the Wheaten Ameraucanas. The other breeds hatch much better (except Rhodebars, I stopped setting them they hatch so bad). Biels and Rhodebars are both problematic hatchers, but the hybrids of those 2 hatch 90+%. That makes me think "inbreeding", but I'm not really certain what is going on. Oh, and they share a pen or are next pen over in the same coop, and so the care and food is identical.

I started saving Rhodefelder eggs for hatching again after seeing how yours turned out.

Quote: Yes!! I have been wanting some Bieles for over a year, but haven't had the coop space. I definitely want at least a few. I'll take what ever Dheltzel has on the clearance rack and wants to get rid of. I have enough space to not be picky now. ha!

Quote:
Restraint? What's that? My plan is to buy a used shed and hire a shed moving company to ship and place it. Then can modify it from there. I figure it would be equivalent to how much it would cost to build a nice coop and be ready almost instantly. I have to exercise a little caution at least initially. The seller is actually having a modular home placed on his lot next door, and I don't want to shock him with a fell fledged farm in the first month, especially if they will be free ranging until I have time to construct a decent run. The lot is mostly wooded with perhaps a 1/2 acre cleared. On the up side, I already noticed the neighbors have a few hens in a small run next to their house. :D I'm praying nobody makes a stink if I have a couple Roos.

Yes!! I have been wanting some Bieles for over a year, but haven't had the coop space. I definitely want at least a few.  I'll take what ever Dheltzel has on the clearance rack and wants to get rid of.  I have enough space to not be picky now. ha!

Restraint?  What's that? My plan is to buy a used shed and hire a shed moving company to ship and place it.  Then can modify it from there.  I figure it would be equivalent to how much it would cost to build a nice coop and be ready almost instantly.  I have to exercise a little caution at least initially.  The seller is actually having a modular home placed  on his lot next door, and I don't want to shock him with a fell fledged farm in the first month, especially if they will be free ranging until I have time to construct a decent run.  The lot is mostly wooded with perhaps a 1/2 acre cleared.  On the up side, I already noticed the neighbors have a few hens in a small run next to their house.  :D  I'm praying nobody makes a stink if I have a couple Roos.

I originally built a full height 12ft x 12ft building with a 4 ft porch for our first coop....
Then I bought a shed with full height walls (8 ft to eave) and a 'barn roof' so it has a lot of 'attic space' inside, we built loft space on both ends with a connecting high shelf along the back side, it has 2 small coops on one end (about 5.5ft x 6 ft) and a full width coop on the other end that is about 5.5 ft x 12 ft. We created a 'people area in the middle section which is used for food storage and broody hens.
If you can find a shed they are great for coops with minimal adaptations, if you get it moved by a shed company you can even build an elevated frame to have it set on so the birds have extra square footage under cover for their outside space and just build a small deck with a couple of steps to the entrance. It is amazing how handy our porch area is and awesome that it is dry when you want to set stuff down before going into the coop.

Fisherlady, you left before I could ask. What did ya think of the thread? Enjoyable?

Yes, I did enjoy it....will participate more later, still playing catch up after being on 'quick visit' checks while away last week.

Back
Top Bottom