Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

An image from this week. I apologize to the new members who are not accustomed to me taking up the thread with my many photos. I'm BACK!

Beautiful!

Thanks, it is a shamrock 26 with an IB 5.7 chevy/Pleasure Craft Marine engine, 300 hrs on the motor. Surveyor did inspection this morning, paper work signed after it passed.

Fisher:

That's a nice ride(cousin had a 22' )....hope you and hubby are good boatman....landing a single engine 26' boat in obnoxious conditions is not for the feint of heart....my two cents....

Question: I have my almost 6 week old chicks outside in the coop right now. They have been without heat pretty much all week because it was so warm, but now it's 43 degrees. Should I turn the heat lamp back on for them? Or should I be trying to let them acclimate to the weather? They are totally dry and mostly draft free.

HZ:

MCC's prior advise is cherry....go out as see if the young'in is complaining... and if the other chooks are huddling to keep the little one warm....I have had bird come off the roost to keep small ones warm....in the pine shavings....your big girls should do the same.....imho...you do need to monitor...and give all some cracked corn,,,,my two cents

Just catching up... we have a shipment of chicks coming next week and this cold snap just made me question whether it was really a good idea. October always tricks me, it's so nice (80 degrees last week) and then boom, it's suddenly winter. Chicks will be in my unheated garage (with heat in their brooder, obviously), but I'm worried about acclimation them to the outside once they are feathered. Tips? They are mostly cornish cross plus a chicken lady sized handful of layers. The layers will transition to the coop, the meaties only have a tractor.

In other news, the chicken train will be available in the east to west direction on Sunday, October 30th if anyone wants to get some birds on board. Now is the time to work out the logistics. I have a pretty busy week coming up, see above note about chicks, plus I'm doing the Halloween party at my daughter's school and we have two halloween themed birthday parties, and I need to finish securing the remodeled game pen and get the pheasants moved over... so send me a message if we need to work out details, I may not be able to keep up here.

Also, my neighbor may be interested in a pretty rooster and I saw there were two posted here an OE and a GLW... I will talk to her, but I'm curious about their demeanor. She has kids (crazy kids) so she can't have an aggressive roo.

Emore:

If caught short, HD has work lights...at $8.50 with a 6" aluminum pan...can use upto 150w lights....might ping you on the express.....and I have two young OE roos around 14wks...they are carbon copies of Anne's "Rusty"....and free to a good home....

An image from this week. I apologize to the new members who are not accustomed to me taking up the thread with my many photos. I'm BACK!

Fall has arrived in Chester co....and for those that haven't had the privilege to visit Blarney...the views from her patio put this to shame.....B: I am going to put up some hard cider and may need to trick or treat you...lol....

Wow! Please send them my way, haha! I just bought three dozen today. That should get us through the week...

Better! Some people are sending old clothes for Duckling. I plan on shipping them back eggs!

Not old, "experienced" clothing. It's the best! :D

Luzerne County near Berwick.
16 barred plymouth rock hens and one rooster.  4 BBB turkeys, soon to be zero.

Welcome! Nice to have you!

Question: I have my almost 6 week old chicks outside in the coop right now.  They have been without heat pretty much all week because it was so warm, but now it's 43 degrees.  Should I turn the heat lamp back on for them?  Or should I be trying to let them acclimate to the weather?  They are totally dry and mostly draft free.

I would check on them and see how they fare. I am in agreement with others, I think it's best to forgo the heat if you can. If they have good protection, and the coop is not huge, they should be able to huddle and stay warm. I am always amazed when I am trams porting any kind of chicken, if I have them in a box, how you can feel the heat when you open the box. They do generate a lot of heat, and they have a higher body temperature than us as well.

Just catching up... we have a shipment of chicks coming next week and this cold snap just made me question whether it was really a good idea. October always tricks me, it's so nice (80 degrees last week) and then boom, it's suddenly winter. Chicks will be in my unheated garage (with heat in their brooder, obviously), but I'm worried about acclimation them to the outside once they are feathered. Tips? They are mostly cornish cross plus a chicken lady sized handful of layers. The layers will transition to the coop, the meaties only have a tractor.

In other news, the chicken train will be available in the east to west direction on Sunday, October 30th if anyone wants to get some birds on board. Now is the time to work out the logistics. I have a pretty busy week coming up, see above note about chicks, plus I'm doing the Halloween party at my daughter's school and we have two halloween themed birthday parties, and I need to finish securing the remodeled game pen and get the pheasants moved over... so send me a message if we need to work out details, I may not be able to keep up here.

Also, my neighbor may be interested in a pretty rooster and I saw there were two posted here an OE and a GLW... I will talk to her, but I'm curious about their demeanor. She has kids (crazy kids) so she can't have an aggressive roo.

The Cornish cross generate a lot of heat from what I have read, they probably would be fine. The layers may need a bit more pampering, depending on size.

Lovely pictures! And so nice to have you back. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom