Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello! I feel like it hasn't been very cold yet but despite my efforts one of my pullets has a little bit of white on the edge of her comb, frostbite I think. The temperatures have been all over the place this year!

Congrats on the chicks!

No activity yet for the New Year's day hatch, but I set 81 eggs last night. The Bielefelders are starting to lay well now, 12 of those eggs were from my 8 Beil hens. Per hen, they are the most productive layers right now. Huge eggs too, they might be from my 2 older hens that laid sporadically last year. And the bantam Ameraucanas are starting to lay a bit now too.

Today I caught and moved 49 birds! Built a new pen for a group of 30 Legbar pullets to get them out of the crowded pen they have been in since I had to move everyone in from the summer hoop houses. I had not noticed how nice those pullets had become, most are quite hefty and seem very healthy. Starting tomorrow morning, they will be getting supplemental lighting, so hopefully they start laying soon.

I am so tired, going to sleep soon. Happy New Year to everyone.

No activity yet for the New Year's day hatch, but I set 81 eggs last night. The Bielefelders are starting to lay well now, 12 of those eggs were from my 8 Beil hens. Per hen, they are the most productive layers right now. Huge eggs too, they might be from my 2 older hens that laid sporadically last year. And the bantam Ameraucanas are starting to lay a bit now too.

Today I caught and moved 49 birds! Built a new pen for a group of 30 Legbar pullets to get them out of the crowded pen they have been in since I had to move everyone in from the summer hoop houses. I had not noticed how nice those pullets had become, most are quite hefty and seem very healthy. Starting tomorrow morning, they will be getting supplemental lighting, so hopefully they start laying soon.

I am so tired, going to sleep soon. Happy New Year to everyone.
Sounds like a productive day!
Happy New Year!!!

Sounds like a productive day!
Happy New Year!!!
It was very productive. Watching the legbars get up on their roosts and look all happy in their new home made it all worthwhile. I also treated everyone I handled for lice. I could only find lice on the cockerels, none of the pullets. Anyone else notice that with lice?

The new pen is also starling-proof, so hopefully they will remain lice free.

It was very productive. Watching the legbars get up on their roosts and look all happy in their new home made it all worthwhile. I also treated everyone I handled for lice. I could only find lice on the cockerels, none of the pullets. Anyone else notice that with lice?

The new pen is also starling-proof, so hopefully they will remain lice free.

We had that one time last year, the roosters had them but none of the hens....odd... we treated everyone though.

Back
Top Bottom