Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

IMG_4663.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG
Turkey babies first day outside. Of course they are freaking out. Haha!

@Auroradream26 Do you find when you hand raise turkeys, that they miss you? They keep looking like they're trying to break out of their cage, but when I come over to them, they seem to calm down.

It's almost like when they don't see me for a while they start calling for me. Does that sound correct? Btw, I think the Black mottled is a male. It's bigger and quieter.

The littles are between 2 and 3 weeks old. Yesterday I removed the cat carrier as their nesting spot as they all seemed capable of flying some. Figured they would get up the ladder. They all were up top last night. Goal today is to build them an extended run. Mom needs more space. I'm thinking they need another few weeks before letting them out with the flock. What do you think??? The first two that hatched as quite large. Then there is my little Sapphire. She is just too precious and tiny still.

I caught this pic just a bit ago. They were all roosting. ☺️
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG

I picked up 10 newly hatched chicks last night at an auction, I have a broody thats been sitting nearly 2 months. I slipped all 10 under her last night, she didnt push them away or act aggressive in any way. This morning the chicks are seemingly ready to explore with the big girls, and momma is still sitting pretty tight on the nest. I found one of the littles outside of the coop in the run with the big hens. I took it and put it back, I dont know if this is successful or not, no one is acting aggressive towards them, but no one is really watching out for them either, they are going under the momma as they want, but also straying away.....whats the deal?

Here is Stellar from my very first batch of babies! Hes getting so big! Well he should be a he... if not hes a really ugly hen lol. He has the longer pointed tail feathers unlike my other girls but I thought he'd be crowing and looking more boyish by now... I know its not a sought after trait in BLR but I love his two tone blue.
20170610_121509.jpg

Ooookaay so it's official. We now have a final count of 27 birds total. 20 Wyandottes, 2 Polish, 3 Bantams, 1 Rouen Duck, and 1 Buff Saddleback Pom Gosling.... :th Needless to say I'm gonna go and hide over on the Duck and Geese threads because I need to know a loooot more right now. (Be glad I didn't wind up with a Turkey on top of all that):oops:

You need a turkey! I have 3 poults available (with more coming in July)

View attachment 1037729 View attachment 1037730 View attachment 1037731 Turkey babies first day outside. Of course they are freaking out. Haha!

So cute! How did they do?

@Auroradream26 Do you find when you hand raise turkeys, that they miss you? They keep looking like they're trying to break out of their cage, but when I come over to them, they seem to calm down.

It's almost like when they don't see me for a while they start calling for me. Does that sound correct? Btw, I think the Black mottled is a male. It's bigger and quieter.

Yes, they imprint pretty strongly. They were in a strange place and their mama wasn't with them lol

I just missed about 30 pages worth of posts because I'm spending very little time on the computer these days... but I had to pop in to ask an incubator question. When we hatched the pheasant eggs, I noticed that the digital temp would read higher within a few hours after adding water to the bottom of the incubator (one of those standard, Styrofoam ones, still air but with a fan added). I think adjusting it for that temp 'spike' is what messed up our eggs... they ended up being several days late and so I am wondering if the higher humidity can give a higher temp reading even if the actual temp is still the same. Does that make sense? I am trying to get a consistent temp today before I put more eggs in and I REALLY want a good hatch from these eggs so I need to get the temp thing figured out! Right now it is at 94 with no water in it and I just turned it up a smidge.

*I have a digital indoor-outdoor thermometer in there, but it doesn't read humidity. I'm supposed to keep the smaller channel full of water the whole time and fill both channels at lockdown, correct?

Back
Top Bottom