Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Head over to the Century of turkey Talk thread and ask there. I know someone had a turkey hen that broke her break. I'm pretty sure she recovered on her own but I'm not outside. I wish I could remember who it was though.

Thanks, I'll see ya over there! ;)

Welcome!!!!

How sad :( if the entry points for the shed are really small, and not big enough for large predators, maybe mink/weasel or rats

Poor baby! That looks like it hurts, how does a chicken break their beak? I hope she recovers well for you

Thanks! At 11:00 pm, I decided to go out there and put some crazy glue and a tea bag on her beak. I'm hoping that will keep it in place, at least for now. I do nails, so I am considering making an acrylic patch on her beak. I have seen it done with parrots, and I know I could do it if I had someone help me hold her.

Great Score! Congrats....but I bet you will get a chuckle if one of your turkeys give it a Try! :lau

Haha! That would be funny!

What animals will kill chicks? So I have these adorable chicks from @dheltzel. I put them in a shed we just got for a chicken coop. It's used and not predator tight but I've never had a problem with predators before. My children went to play with the chicks and found lots dead and they said they were chewed on. They took care of them before I saw them so I'm not sure what exactly they looked like. What kind of animal would do that??? I tried to block the holes but I'm worried about what I'll find in the morning again. I'm so sad! And such special chicks! I've never had any issues like this before!!!!
Inside a shed, I'm thinking rats or coons. Either one will likely be back to finish the job. At the very least, put them into a more protected brooder area. I use plastic tubs a lot at that age, and they are hard for predators to climb. Still need to cover the tops with hardware cloth and set some boards on top to hold down the wire. If you cover plastic tubs, you are well protected from everything up to large dogs. The chicks will eventually outgrow the tubs, but that buys you time.

How sad :( if the entry points for the shed are really small, and not big enough for large predators, maybe mink/weasel or rats
THANKS! I want the problem fixed so I can save the rest of the babies! So far I've lost at least 23 hens chicks! And I don't want the experience repeated when I bring home my little 'royalty' silkie mix chicks from your eggs!!!!

Inside a shed, I'm thinking rats or coons. Either one will likely be back to finish the job. At the very least, put them into a more protected brooder area. I use plastic tubs a lot at that age, and they are hard for predators to climb. Still need to cover the tops with hardware cloth and set some boards on top to hold down the wire. If you cover plastic tubs, you are well protected from everything up to large dogs. The chicks will eventually outgrow the tubs, but that buys you time.
THANKS! I feel terrible after that great deal And all those lovely babies! I'm hoping the silver pair is still alive and well and the silkies lavender and bantams....I think there are some left from all the rest yet but what a terrible thing to so carelessly lose so many of your beautiful babies! I never lost so many before. I'm sorry! Am trying my best to not lose any more! Thanks for all your help!

THANKS! I want the problem fixed so I can save the rest of the babies! So far I've lost at least 23 hens chicks! And I don't want the experience repeated when I bring home my little 'royalty' silkie mix chicks from your eggs!!!!

THANKS! I feel terrible after that great deal And all those lovely babies! I'm hoping the silver pair is still alive and well and the silkies lavender and bantams....I think there are some left from all the rest yet but what a terrible thing to so carelessly lose so many of your beautiful babies! I never lost so many before. I'm sorry! Am trying my best to not lose any more! Thanks for all your help!

How was the hatch rate? Isnt today the big day??

Arg. My midget white turkey hen didn't get into the coop tonight. I saw her around before, and she seemed like she was looking for her chicks, which is not unusual. I looked all over and couldn't find her. I doubt she will be there in the morning. The only good news is that I found someone with Midget whites within driving distance, before she went missing. RIP Wheezy... :hit

How was the hatch rate? Isnt today the big day??
I thought it was as that's what the friend who is hatching out my others said but these said Friday. So not sure on differences of hatching etc. The others started today. I need to ask about our 'royalty' tomorrow. (We think they look like kings, queens, prince and princess with the silkie head:) ....)

Back
Top Bottom