Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone have a tractor design they would recommend, that's not very complex?

It would need to be predator proof. I'd like it for the more delicate girls -- Silkies & Cochins.

I have built 6 tractors over the years (4 still in use), and this is my current design: How to make a hoop tractor
This one is 10 x 12, but I have 2 that are just 8x8 and they work very well too. All predator protection is by making the wiring very tight and adding movable apron skirting around the perimeter. I have switched to 1/2" HW cloth on all non-tarped areas to keep the starlings out and coons from reaching in.
If I were making just one, I might also electrify it with a solar fencer (with a convenient on/off switch). I'd still do the wire apron and would make that, and the metal structure the ground, so I wouldn't have to move the ground rod.
I might also add a trail cam or remote video surveillance feed, so I could capture a pic of the foxes and coon as they get "a charge" out of the fencer.

We followed @dheltzel design fairly closely. I'm sure there are some differences, but it made an outstanding coop for our girls. Love using it and think it's one of the best coop ideas ever for so many reasons. We had hawk land on it, foxes case it (and walk around on top of it trying to figure out how to get in!) and who knows what else that we never saw, but we never lost any hens. It was very secure. Don't know if you're wanting to build just for the experience of it all, but downsizing our flock and need to sell our hoop. Listed here if you'd like to take a look or are interested at all.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/6189698417.html

Yep, that's how it should smell! Well, if you end up worth a broody, I have ayam cemani seperated....lol

Is that a good meat bird? I'm looking at doing this if she is broody (and it is starting to look more like she is.) How long from hatch to processing and what is the dress out weight? Is the meat really freaky dark or is it more like thigh/drumstick dark? and how much $$ for a dozen to set her with?

Is that a good meat bird? I'm looking at doing this if she is broody (and it is starting to look more like she is.) How long from hatch to processing and what is the dress out weight? Is the meat really freaky dark or is it more like thigh/drumstick dark? and how much $$ for a dozen to set her with?

They are not a good meat bird at all really. They're very light weight and a bit on the small side. The meat is supposed to be black all the way through. We're butchering our first ones tomorrow so I can let you know then how dark they are. Maybe I'll post a picture.

We followed @dheltzel design fairly closely. I'm sure there are some differences, but it made an outstanding coop for our girls. Love using it and think it's one of the best coop ideas ever for so many reasons. We had hawk land on it, foxes case it (and walk around on top of it trying to figure out how to get in!) and who knows what else that we never saw, but we never lost any hens. It was very secure. Don't know if you're wanting to build just for the experience of it all, but downsizing our flock and need to sell our hoop. Listed here if you'd like to take a look or are interested at all.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/6189698417.html

Thank you! I wouldn't even have a way to transport it. But thank you.

So Keith and I are having one hell of a day... Long story short we're up in Bucks County on the hunt for ducks and/or goslings and so far there's none. Anyone in Bucks willing to let us stop by? I think we're gonna go crazy if we don't get to see some birds. We're literally in the Moyer's parking lot

So Keith and I are having one hell of a day... Long story short we're up in Bucks County on the hunt for ducks and/or goslings and so far there's none. Anyone in Bucks willing to let us stop by? I think we're gonna go crazy if we don't get to see some birds. We're literally in the Moyer's parking lot

Just show up to @Dheltzels place. He still has ducks, I think...

Back
Top Bottom