Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone by feed from Goods in Fivepointville? They told my dad that my chicks can have the same feed as my hens at 6 weeks. This concerns me. Either the hens aren't getting a layer pellet or I'm gonna kill my chicks.

Anyone by feed from Goods in Fivepointville? They told my dad that my chicks can have the same feed as my hens at 6 weeks. This concerns me. Either the hens aren't getting a layer pellet or I'm gonna kill my chicks.

Chicks should not have layer feed until they're at least 16 weeks old or they start laying. Honestly, I feed ALL my birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese) chick grower from start to finish and just keep oyster shell available for the older birds to take as they need.

IMG_4816.JPG
Chicks should not have layer feed until they're at least 16 weeks old or they start laying. Honestly, I feed ALL my birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese) chick grower from start to finish and just keep oyster shell available for the older birds to take as they need.

I'm tending towards that too... My girls prefer crushed eggshells for sure though. When I give them that, they eat it up within hours. I collect all my shells and at the end of the week, I nuke them to dry them out. Crush, then serve!

Check out my fan club this morning. They know I am in the kitchen, so they still stay close by.

True, though it is not like it is poisonous to them, just more calcium than they should have for the long term. As an emergency feed for a week or 2, nothing bad will happen.
I feed 20% starter crumbles to everyone until they move outdoors to the farm, then they get 22% breeder pellets for the rest of their lives. I add cracked corn to anyone who needs less protein (ducks and non-laying birds), or for a treat for everyone.

O wow! When will you have more chicks:) maybe my children were right. Maybe we will see you next year. And so far all my babies are great none lost this time. Daughter still determined to tame the guineas:) she read somehow that someone had some tamed
These breeds are for next year. I'm especially excited about the Mille Fleur Leghorns. I have a quad from the first shipment and they are really pretty, and not flighty as other leghorns often are. I have them out on grass in a hop tractor now, where the green grass gives a nice contrast to the colorful mille fleur colors.

View attachment 1060444

I'm tending towards that too... My girls prefer crushed eggshells for sure though. When I give them that, they eat it up within hours. I collect all my shells and at the end of the week, I nuke them to dry them out. Crush, then serve!

Check out my fan club this morning. They know I am in the kitchen, so they still stay close by.

I am loving the turkey pictures, they look like a fun crew to have Around!

I should have some turkey poults in a week or two from Porter's if you're interested in a few :) I had to order at least 15 (and promised to sell most of them lol)
Thanks for the offer but nope, nope, nope, nope, nope!! LOL....I have too many birds as it is and wouldn't be able to give them the spoiling they should have. Besides, with the rampant broody flu epidemics we usually have around here I don't want to have to try to find room for broody turkey hens too!!:barnie:hmm

Back
Top Bottom