Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thank you love! That's very sweet. Is that how you imagine me with a chainsaw? :lau
Ummmmmmm... Welllllllllll.... Yes! :D
What do we do for egg eaters? I think it may be one of my CCLs, but I can't be sure.
Collect eggs constantly.
Remove whom ever you think the culprit(s) is/are.
Put mustard in an eggshell.
Add golf balls to the nest. They will get discouraged.
Make rollaway nests.

Was pretty upset last week, we were out of town for four days. We trusted the house to a caregiver that miserably failed to do anything. 8/18 fish dead, guinea pig nearly dead and surviving off of the water and calorie contents of a lettuce leaf. Emaciated and in a cage so soiled it harbored a fly nest and infested the bedroom. Hamster and mice thankfully had enough food hoarded to weather this but the mice were definitely dehydrated. Cats were noticeably thinner with a full litter box, leopard gecko has no food, water, or coconut moss for shedding, no humidity either. Shit stains and piss everywhere from a dog that isn't even ours and wasn't supposed to be here!

And our poor ducklings, stuck in the hen house for days, sleeping in the mud, drinking the mud, defecating in the mud... caked in their own feces, coughing, and starving. Keels and lumbar vertebrae prominent and ready to eat my whole hand. And needing niacin. Total and utter nightmare at the house. Very very disappointed.

We were able to nurse everyone back to health, and other than the fish no lives were claimed. Everyone was able to rebound fantastically. However, our oldest dog is now experiencing end-stage renal failure. It's looking really bad, but we hesitate to euthanize him on his birthday tomorrow.

I'm so sorry for the tough time you had. That's no way to end a vacation. I hope everyone will be ok. Sorry about your puppy. :hugs

Wow! Those roosts look great. I have to redo mine, they were supposed to be temporary, but I haven't worked on them since the fall.

My old ones were just some branches I had laying around and I just screwed them into the sides of the coop. The ladies were having a hard time getting up and down them so I had to make something better for them. I sort of wish I had used branches to make the new perches but figured 2x4s would be easier on the girls feet. We'll see how they do on them. My coop was such a mess when we started. Still a lot more to fix...

What do we do for egg eaters? I think it may be one of my CCLs, but I can't be sure.

I'd like to know as well. One of our girls lays an egg then eats it when she is done. Ick. :sick

Just a quick update, the barred rock babies from @yoopergirl1211 are doing great. My older girls have finally started laying eggs again, about 4 from 7 hens a day. The rooster we're hoping to keep is still being nice to us, and starting to mate with the hens, although it is hilarious watching him try to mate with the older girls who then get mad and start chasing him away! The one hen that was acting strange, has finally sat down to brood on some eggs. But I don't think they are fertile yet so I'll have to keep trying some eggs until they show veining. Or maybe I can get some fertile eggs from @yoopergirl1211 ?

Hello welcome to BYC! I am near Erie, so is @yoopergirl1211 . What chickens do you have, or hope to get?
Hey sorry I've been stuck in hammot er with pneumonia, collapsed lung and about a 1000 other things since like Sunday finally almost feeling well enough to play with phone and get caught up

Another shipment from Sandhill arrived today. Sorry @AnneInTheBurbs, it did not include any creme brabanters. It did have:
Anconas
Sicilian Buttercup
Buff Minorca
Black Leghorn
Mille Fleur Leghorn
White Leghorn
Black Crested Blue Polish
Blue Polish
Black Shamo
Flame Jaerhon
Norwegian Jaerhon
Golden Campine
Golden Erminette
Golden Lakenvelder
Silver Lakenvelder
Golden Penciled Hamburg
Silver Penciled Hamburg
BBR Kraienkoppe
Partridge Barnvelder
Red Pyle Cubalaya
Wheaten Marans
O wow! When will you have more chicks:) maybe my children were right. Maybe we will see you next year. And so far all my babies are great none lost this time. Daughter still determined to tame the guineas:) she read somehow that someone had some tamed
[QUOTE AnneInTheBurbs, post: 18658013, member: 237670"]View attachment 1059133

Hey turkey people! @dheltzel @Auroradream26 Do you think my Tom has bumblefoot? One of toes looked a little fatter than the rest on the roost, so I took a look at his feet. They look like they have poo caked on them, but I think he just has thick feet with tough callouses, because he is such a big boy now. I did soak his feet in Epsom salts to see if that would soften or remove anything. I think it just kept me up later. :lol:

I was inspecting feet the other night because I noticed my one Cali Gray had a case of swollen (bumblefoot). She had it on both feet, but only one was puffy. I soaked her feet last night in Epsom salts and used some Prid drawing salve on a gauze pad. By this morning, one of her gauze pads was off. :rolleyes: Soaked again tonight and used some Vertericyn spray. I did excise some of the corn from the bad one, reapplied the drawing salve and bandaged her up. I'm glad I have time to give them TLC.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I'm excited because I've been asking for a chainsaw. There are a lot of fallen trees in our woods and I'd love to be able to clear them. :fl[/QUOTE]
Happy birthday!!!!
Hey sorry I've been stuck in hammot er with pneumonia, collapsed lung and about a 1000 other things since like Sunday finally almost feeling well enough to play with phone and get caught up
Praying you will soon feel better!

Well after talking to another breeder I decided to keep the Light Sussex. I took another look at the Sussex/Leghorn crosses and son of a gun there are three pullets. That one I thought was a Cockerel is a Pullet. so that makes four pullets total available.

Back
Top Bottom