Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have a friend coming over tomorrow that butchers for a living to do the turkey I'm giving my mom for thanksgiving and Im hoping watching him will help me learn to be faster and more efficient. Also going to do a couple Muscovy trying the wax dip method because he hasn't done it before and hates plucking Muscovy. Hoping it goes well. Cant wait to eat it!!

A4F07833-C3AD-4516-B53C-4454B53FD585.jpeg
Someone is confused. This is my second light tan/pinkish pullet egg. The olive egg is out of my pretty pullet that I hatched from my CL hen. There should be three OEs that hatched from olive eggs. And one CCL pullet and 1 Sapphire. Who is laying this egg?!? It doesn’t make sense.

Could it be one of my older hens after her molt?

802A2269-D8B8-47BE-BABD-90184CAC82C1.jpeg
0315CD46-E961-4D43-A38C-D80BA9529998.jpeg
We have been working on a new hoop coop since Spring, so sad, but true. A blend of the above pictures are what I’m basing the new Hoop Coop on. Some of the things I’m keeping in mind are:

Height! Needs to be tall enough that I’m not hitting my head on the dang thing every morning. Also needs to be short enough for me to put a tarp over.

Roosts: we collect a lot of 2x4s from people’s trash, so I’ve had to be very careful to sand out any rough spots to avoid bumble foot. I’ve also made the roosts only 1 foot high so that they don’t have far to get to the ground.

Predators: I’m working on covering the cattle panels in hardware cloth.

So far the new Hoop Coop looks like this:

9E24DC85-CA8A-4F0D-B6BE-973E085D7BD1.jpeg

Not much progress since Spring time, but a far cry from what my poor babies are living in now...I’m naming the below coop “Raccoon Motel”. We havent been hit yet...but it’s only a matter of time before the coons find the holes between the tarp and the hardware cloth.

E9942A5E-E7C3-4965-A143-B3E9954ED9EF.jpeg

I’m not proud, but this is indeed the eye sore in my yard currently.

657871C2-8352-48EC-9AFF-3D0BA344227C.jpeg

Today I butchered 2 turkeys (one is 30lbs! Worried its to big to roast) 2 Muscovy ducks (wax was amazing), and kill 8 meat birds. Only get to eat 6. Somehow two had broken wings that were infected. Apparently the little hop down in meatlocker is too high? Lesson learned I guess. Im worried about how many have it. Going thru them tomorrow.

So far the new Hoop Coop looks like this:

View attachment 1188990

Not much progress since Spring time, but a far cry from what my poor babies are living in now...I’m naming the below coop “Raccoon Motel”. We havent been hit yet...but it’s only a matter of time before the coons find the holes between the tarp and the hardware cloth.

View attachment 1188991

I’m not proud, but this is indeed the eye sore in my yard currently.

View attachment 1188992
I considered to build one like these, but don't think they are sturdy enough. My current plan is having a plastic shed with lots of windows added. Unfortunately, I just decide to quit my job and move back to PA on January, so I will not build a coop in our current NY home. Hopefully, we can find our new house in PA by summer time, so my son can get his chickens. I will get the same types of chickens from Dennis again, especially those Pennsylvania blacks.

Thanks for the nice welcome! I actually still lurking here all the time. I always planed to get a new flock after we bought our new York home, but I'm on travel 90% of the time. My company plans to add international travel to my next year's plan, because our manufacturer line is moving to Ireland. I don't like the idea, so I found a new job at State College. Here I am home again! I love PA much better than NY anyway. This is the home! Now I just need to sell our NY house, which has very nice lake view at Finger lake area. So we shouldn't have trouble to sell.

Back
Top Bottom