Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Are the kids still scared?
:hugs

They're fine. My son was fine when I picked him up and had no clue why they couldn't leave (he was at the middle school). My daughter was scared. She saw the police outside her classroom door with guns drawn, securing the school but she's fine now that she's home. Apparently, she saw me walk by her bus when I was walking in to the school to get her and ran to the front but couldn't get off. She was ready and waiting when I came back with someone to get her off.

We had a terrifying afternoon today. The kids were supposed to be released 3 hours early today to start Christmas vacation. We got a text from the school saint that all the busses would be late. After an hour of waiting at the buss stop, I decided to follow the birds route, looking for the kids since I couldn't get through to the school. I got the whole way to the middle school to find the busses hadn't moved so I went in and got my son and found out that the elementary school was locked down, that an intruder had gone in and barricaded himself in a bathroom. They said that they weren't letting anyone near the school. Talk about terrifying! I was finally able to go get my daughter from the school and supposedly, they didn't find anyone. I don't know what happened for sure but that was so scary.

Oh no... I am a substitute teacher and we just had a scare, I went in the week after it was publicized and many students were so worried and stressed out. It is an absolute horrible situation to be in. It's really sad when you can't go somewhere without looking for the exits and areas that are safe. :( Please know that teachers have their students safety as their number one priority. :hugs

Daffodil december 20127.jpg

Daffodil made a full recovery from Botulism and has been back with her girlfriends for three days now! Thank you to everyone for their advice--I started with the eyedropper but quickly went to a tube and baby parrot food. She was eating on her own a few days and then we had that break in the weather! I check her crop every night and she is doing great at feeding herself--she only needed one day on the other side of the wire before her buddies accepted her back.
Daffodil december 20127.jpg
I kind of miss having a big poofy chicken in the house...
Dennis --when will you start having chicks? I will need some serious layers since my flock is now mainly poofy ornamental Orpingtons! Fanged--your pretty girl is still giving me (my only) egg a day!

View attachment 1215068
Daffodil made a full recovery from Botulism and has been back with her girlfriends for three days now! Thank you to everyone for their advice--I started with the eyedropper but quickly went to a tube and baby parrot food. She was eating on her own a few days and then we had that break in the weather! I check her crop every night and she is doing great at feeding herself--she only needed one day on the other side of the wire before her buddies accepted her back. View attachment 1215068 I kind of miss having a big poofy chicken in the house...
Dennis --when will you start having chicks? I will need some serious layers since my flock is now mainly poofy ornamental Orpingtons! Fanged--your pretty girl is still giving me (my only) egg a day!
I have a big hatch scheduled for New Year's Day. A lot of Partridge Penedesenca eggs. I haven't candled them yet, so I'm not sure about fertility, but I'm hoping. They have really impressed me with their laying ability compared to my other dark egg layers (Welsummers, Welbars and Copper Marans all seem to be rather lackadaisical). I have 7 pullets, yesterday I got 7 eggs, today just 6, but considering the numbers for my flock of about 50 Legbars was 0 and 1, I think they are doing great.

Today's Legbar egg was the first since October. These are mostly 2 to 3 years old now, so they take longer breaks, but that is quite the drought for a Legbar. I want to select for productivity over several years, so that requires keeping the birds to see who is still laying after several years and selecting their progeny for the next group of breeders.

Started getting Welsh Harlequin eggs after a long time without. I stopped checking for a long time, but discovered about 10 eggs in there a few days ago. I'm saving them and might set them tomorrow. That would give me ducklings on 1/19. Is that too early? I love ducklings, but not sure if there will be demand that early.

In other news, 2 chicks are out already from the 7 I put into lockdown. 1 Black Ameraucana and 1 Mille Fleur Leghorn. :fl Hoping the Leghorn is a male !!

Back
Top Bottom