Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I love hamsters. When I was 10, my hamster broke out of his cage and went down a mouse hole. I was devastated. I put a ton of food in his cage and turned it so the open door faced the mouse hole. In the middle of the next night, I heard a scratching--my hamster was trying to get back in his cage, but was on the side of the cage where the door had been before I turned it! They are clever little buggers.

So what do you guys do with a bad rooster if he is not big enough to harvest for meat? I have a scrawny little EE rooster that is trying to mate with my girls and leaves their combs bloody. Our big rooster does not do that and he is wonderful. I just hate to kill for no reason so IDK what to do with the little guy. I've had enough of him though, I want him gone yesterday.

@AnneInTheBurbs could pipe in here but I think bielfelders are good duel purpose and lay well. I haven't had any of my own to with in but they seem to be a good breed. I also like standard LF cochins. They're very big and very friendly but they tend to be very broody too but lay well when not broody.

I meant to respond to this earlier, but better late than never. I can't comment on how much meat the Bieles give, because I only have my one breeding roo (for now...) He doesn't feel real big, but he has been allowed to free range. I'm sure if he was raised in more confined conditions with a higher protein feed, he would be worth eating. The girls could be nice and plump too, but they lay nice large brown eggs. My one Biele girl went broody last year, and she was an excellent mama.

Lavender ams are awesome :)

View attachment 1243612

they are gorgeous. My one girls started to lay, but has seemed to stop. I think someone is eating eggs too however. I think I am going to make some curtains, and see if that helps curb it.

So what do you guys do with a bad rooster if he is not big enough to harvest for meat? I have a scrawny little EE rooster that is trying to mate with my girls and leaves their combs bloody. Our big rooster does not do that and he is wonderful. I just hate to kill for no reason so IDK what to do with the little guy. I've had enough of him though, I want him gone yesterday.

You can try to re home on Craigslist, as a free ranging rooster. Or you could try to isolate him and fatten him up also.

If he's still young, he's probably still learning and just getting used to the hormones flowing through him. As Anne said, you can rehome him on Craigslist but you could also process him and make some skinny cockerel soup :)

Last edited:
What Auroradream said. Give him time or make broth/chicken noodle soup.

Wow! You drive all the way up to Davis feed? That’s up near me. I am in northern Bucks county. http://www.pickeringvalleyfeed.com/ Has a good selection of choice every year, if you don’t mind the drive.
Hi! I go to Davis in Rushland. That`s maybe a half hour or so from me. Perkasie would be too much of a hike to go pretty much every weekend (which I do).
Thanks for the tip about Pickering Valley. Might have to check them out if I`m feeling ambitious.

@dheltzel definitely has some wonderful hard to find varieties also. He has a ton of knowledge too, and is right on point with his advice. I call him my “poultry pimp”, but I’m sure he’s not thrilled with that description. :oops: I have several of his fine fowl. He also introduced me to the fun world of turkeys. And then @Auroradream26 helped me as well.
And hello to dheltzel and Auroradream26 also! :frow
I only get to pop in at rare times, but remember your names and some posts that had me thinking :goodpost::old:bow

WP_20180126_08_37_52_Pro.jpg

Good morning over here. Two foxes in the two traps this morning. When the trapper removed them, he said definitely a male and a female, probably a mated pair. He said he would put money on the bet that this large male was the perp. He was a mature male of a decent size. He suspects the female is expecting and he was bringing her food. He said I should have no more problems (for now, as we know). This spring I will build a large run, so this won't be a problem next year. He bailed the trap again, just to be sure.

View attachment 1247246

Good morning over here. Two foxes in the two traps this morning. When the trapper removed them, he said definitely a male and a female, probably a mated pair. He said he would put money on the bet that this large male was the perp. He was a mature male of a decent size. He suspects the female is expecting and he was bringing her food. He said I should have no more problems (for now, as we know). This spring I will build a large run, so this won't be a problem next year. He bailed the trap again, just to be sure.

Excellent news! So are you still getting the pelts? Winter pelts from 2 fox should be a nice pile of fur...

Excellent news! So are you still getting the pelts? Winter pelts from 2 fox should be a nice pile of fur...

Thanks! I hope so. I asked him for the pelts, and the bones. A friend said she makes jewelry with them. He said the pelts were very nice for this time of year. I told him, of course, they have been feasting on my flock. Lol. So glad to have stopped the carnage, again, for now.

View attachment 1247246

Awesome news! Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom