Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Sally, that cartoon was so SILLY!

Thanks for all the great comments on our babies. : ) you guys are the best!

Lil brownie, the Goaties are Milk Goats, I would say also pets...we love them so much! So we will be breeding them in order to milk them. And add more brush clearers to our herd.

Mama2my, good looking babies you got there. I thought you said your Orps are Bantams, if they are LF, I would not recommend your son using them for 4H. The kids are scored on how they handle their birds as well as their knowledge of the breed. My 9 yr old really struggled handling her LF Orp at this summer's fair. The judge told us point plank that she was obviously more knowledgable about poultry and her breed than the other kids, but couldn't handle her bird as he fought her getting in and out of the crate. Tough day for my little. So i would recommend bantams for 4 H

2. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Anyone have any experience/advice for raising ringnecks?
    Hubby is thinking about getting some.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Nope sorry!!

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    They are bantams. So far, she's ONLY got 2 LF! I keep trying to get her to get more....so far...no go!

5. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania

[​IMG]
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
    Was just taking a break from cooking.... and wanted to wish everyone a good day tomorrow! And I wanted to thank Wingstone again for the beautiful bird. I cooked the backup bird today, but "Big Bird" goes in the roaster tomorrow am!! YUM!!!

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Thanks for the tip Blarney!

All of my birds are bantams except for one JG and one barred rock. Working on getting some bigger ones though. But yes, I got bantams with my kiddos in mind!

7. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    We used to get surplus pheasant chicks from a local hatchery, with the intention of releasing them into the wild. The babies are pretty hard on each other and can peck mercilessly, even with plenty of food and room to move around. They also fly much younger than chicks do. They escape the brooder. And they stink much more. A couple friends got some of the surplus pheasant chicks too, with similar results.

We raised them for 4 or 5 years, and ended up with some to release each year, but they always got eaten by the local foxes. We didn't enjoy it at all. One of my favorite memories of raising pheasants was when one escaped (a daily annoying occurance) They were really difficult to catch once they got out, but one of my beagles caught the escapee. I always remember Dolly beagle looking all innocent, with 2 tiny pheasant legs sticking out of her mouth.

Never again.

8. bruceh

bruceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    hanover pa
    today was a great day . i caught the big possum by my coop. i gave him a headache . rip possum.

9. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I helped out on a farm once. BUuuuut they had thousands of ringnecks! Looking at starting some as well come spring.

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG] Are you sure he wasn't playing opossum?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by