Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The SLW are easy to tell apart. :thumbsup
46814342-A3F9-4FD5-92D7-769A07C54C43.jpeg

Woohoo! The saddles came early. I put one on my fat Fluffy. It seems to fit her well and she got used to it quickly.

3548F081-B0EE-4CA0-A124-12C83264DA08.jpeg
2A5A95CD-85FA-41DD-B75B-1DB325587C16.jpeg

However, when I put it on our other Orpington, Tiny, the straps seemed loose and she was NOT having it. She almost took it off. Perhaps I need to shorten those? How tight should they be?

129CFC50-9446-40E5-B24F-3EF85A945196.jpeg 1954006F-D08F-4897-B5C8-027556301DC8.jpeg

Woohoo! The saddles came early. I put one on my fat Fluffy. It seems to fit her well and she got used to it quickly.

View attachment 1413116View attachment 1413118

However, when I put it on our other Orpington, Tiny, the straps seemed loose and she was NOT having it. She almost took it off. Perhaps I need to shorten those? How tight should they be?

View attachment 1413120 View attachment 1413119

Is the elastic equal on both sides? One side could have been pulled tight making the other side loose. If you do need to tighten them up, only do about a half inch at a time. The elastic should be right up against the wings and rest comfortable there without stretching tight against them. Does the 3rd one fit? I may have to start making one more size in between bantam and this size :/

Is the elastic equal on both sides? One side could have been pulled tight making the other side loose. If you do need to tighten them up, only do about a half inch at a time. The elastic should be right up against the wings and rest comfortable there without stretching tight against them. Does the 3rd one fit? I may have to start making one more size in between bantam and this size :/

I love them anyway! Fluffy is the only one who I was most concerned about and she doesn’t care that it’s on her and it fits great! You may need to make a “medium” size for those in-between birds. I left the flower one on the other Orpington and we will see if she gets used to it. If not, I’ll make the straps a little tighter so she can’t pull it off. Our speckled Sussex is all concerned, trying to help Tiny take it off. So funny!

The 3rd one is blue and I put it on our EE mix. She then kept glancing at it, freaking out, running away, and so on. I caught her and took it off. While I was holding her, I showed her the denim side and she was fine. Then I showed her the patterned side and she growled, flapped her wings, went totally ballistic. Omg I was dying of laughter! I want to show my hubs when he gets home and then I will try using it denim side up or switch it with a different one. :lau

I love them anyway! Fluffy is the only one who I was most concerned about and she doesn’t care that it’s on her and it fits great! You may need to make a “medium” size for those in-between birds. I left the flower one on the other Orpington and we will see if she gets used to it. If not, I’ll make the straps a little tighter so she can’t pull it off. Our speckled Sussex is all concerned, trying to help Tiny take it off. So funny!

The 3rd one is blue and I put it on our EE mix. She then kept glancing at it, freaking out, running away, and so on. I caught her and took it off. While I was holding her, I showed her the denim side and she was fine. Then I showed her the patterned side and she growled, flapped her wings, went totally ballistic. Omg I was dying of laughter! I want to show my hubs when he gets home and then I will try using it denim side up or switch it with a different one. :lau

Lol, that's hilarious! I do know at least one other person who uses theirs denim side up. I forget the reasoning behind it but it works fine that way too :) Instead of making a smaller sized saddle, maybe I'll just use slightly less elastic. Looks like it may be experiment time. The reason I asked about the elastic is that in the picture, it looked like the one side was tight and the other side extra loose. The elastic slides through the middle part. Hopefully they get used to them!

Lol, that's hilarious! I do know at least one other person who uses theirs denim side up. I forget the reasoning behind it but it works fine that way too :) Instead of making a smaller sized saddle, maybe I'll just use slightly less elastic. Looks like it may be experiment time. The reason I asked about the elastic is that in the picture, it looked like the one side was tight and the other side extra loose. The elastic slides through the middle part. Hopefully they get used to them!

I put the blue saddle on a different hen and she's fine with it. I think it just depends on the hen, some are more skittish than others. Tiny was pulling at the saddle when I took the picture, that's why the elastic was pulled like that. I keep having to fix it on her but hope she will get used to it soon. Do you leave it on 24/7 until the feathers regrow?

We got rid of one rooster, and hope that the last one (our barred rock roo) will calm down with the mating and let the girls get some feathers back. I wonder if I should clip his nails and his spur? One hen has missing feathers on her head... I don't understand why some are really roughed up and the others are completely fine? Does he really just prefer those 3-4 girls only?

Back
Top Bottom