Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

:hmmeverybody pecks her. I guess I have to bring her in herself and then merge her back later. She ate some mealworms today, so I don’t need to worry about tube feed yet. We will see how she’s doing tomorrow. I will make some scrambled eggs.

Oh no, poor girl! I would definitely bring her in and have corid mixed up for her to drink. Use an eye dropper to make sure she gets enough in her. Scrambled eggs are a great idea to try. You could even blend the scrambled eggs with the corid water in to an egg smoothie and give her that with the eye dropper. Just remember, no vitamins of any kind while she's on Corid since they will counteract the effects of the Corid. The way she sounds, the dosage needs to be 2 Tbs/ gallon

Candy is gone.:hit I checked her this morning, and found her didn’t survive. It’s only two days since she acted unusually. What could kill her so quickly? I was going to call a vet today...
I'm so sorry 😢

Birds disguise illness for so long, by the time you see a symptom they are often beyond help. Coccidosis and worms are 2 things I am immediately suspicious of when seeing a young bird like you describe, others less likely but still to consider are botulism and mareks. As already suggested, a necropsy will provide more definitive answers.

I'm so sorry 😢

Birds disguise illness for so long, by the time you see a symptom they are often beyond help. Coccidosis and worms are 2 things I am immediately suspicious of when seeing a young bird like you describe, others less likely but still to consider are botulism and mareks. As already suggested, a necropsy will provide more definitive answers.

Thank you. She was such a sweet lap chicken. :hitHopefully, Penn State lab will find out the cause. I just hope it's nothing contagious:(

Candy is gone.:hit I checked her this morning, and found her didn’t survive. It’s only two days since she acted unusually. What could kill her so quickly? I was going to call a vet today...
Thank you. She was such a sweet lap chicken. :hitHopefully, Penn State lab will find out the cause. I just hope it's nothing contagious:(

I am so very sorry :( It's horrible when this kind of thing happens, especially when it's a favorite. Hopefully Penn State will be able to get you answers quickly. I so wish I had another ameraucana pullet available for you. I do have some silkies, though I know Candy could never be replaced :(

I am so very sorry :( It's horrible when this kind of thing happens, especially when it's a favorite. Hopefully Penn State will be able to get you answers quickly. I so wish I had another ameraucana pullet available for you. I do have some silkies, though I know Candy could never be replaced :(
Thank you. She was such a sweet heart. I feel really blessed to have her as our pet, even for just a short time. As Dennis mentioned, these silkie feathered ameraucanas seem fragile. She was always skinny and tiny. My son and I had hand fed her everyday before leaving and after we came home, but that seems not enough to keep her alive. I haven't told him the bad news yet. I think we will need sometime before we are ready for new birds. Maybe next year. Luckly, Sun is very healthy and gets along with the big girls well, so she is not lonely.

Good Morning! I live in SE PA, Chester County. I have 26 Australorps that are 6 ½ wks old. Currently they are in my garage in a 4 X 8 brooder that they are outgrowing! I would like to put them in their coop/run today but looks like the weather at night is going to dip into the 30/40’s at night for a few days. I am wondering if I should put the heat lamp on in the coop but leave the window open also so it doesn’t get too warm in there, or if having 26 in the coop will generate enough heat for them. They have not had heat lamp since they were a little over 2 weeks old due to how hot it had been. During the day I have the garage door open so they are getting a taste of the cooler weather and according to the chick/temp charts, they are okay with 65 degree weather, so daytime I am not really concerned. What are your thoughts? TIA

Hi, popping in again. I don't have time to catch up on all of the posts but I'm sorry to see that Candy is gone. We lost a favorite chicken suddenly too, only overnight. That was a few weeks ago and thankfully the others seem fine. We also got a call last night that there was a chicken roaming around my husband's workplace. So we went over there to capture her and asked a few chicken neighbors if they were missing any, and they were not. I wish I could solve the mystery, but I guess we have a new chicken now! Posting a picture - can you guys tell me what breed she is and why her top beak is clipped?

IMG-0188.jpg

Back
Top Bottom