Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

JDonn127

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
Hello fellow Pennsylvanians.....just happened upon this thread.... I’m from Bucks County.... just outside of Philadelphia.... this is my first winter with chickens....4 white leghorns (all township allows) ... i was just wondering what folks in our area do to winterize the runs...i basically want to keep snow out and protect from wind

TillyPeeps

Songster
Oct 13, 2015
Central PA
Hello everyone! Just found this board through a member’s recommendation!

I’m from southwestern, PA (Pittsburgh).

Glad I found this page :)
Hello fellow Pennsylvanians.....just happened upon this thread.... I’m from Bucks County.... just outside of Philadelphia.... this is my first winter with chickens....4 white leghorns (all township allows) ... i was just wondering what folks in our area do to winterize the runs...i basically want to keep snow out and protect from wind
Welcome from Centre County!

I just got some clear tarps to wrap around my coop and run. I have about 10’X16‘ area with roof that will be wrapped. This is my first winter with chickens too, so don't know how good it will work.

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
Nice to meet you! We have 2 cinnamon queens, 2 isa browns, and 2 cuckoo marans. What about you?
A lot lol. I have silkies, ameraucanas (silkied and smooth), English orpingtons, blue egg laying silkie project birds, penciled turkeys (plus a few other colors), a big African gander, 2 muscovy ducks, and a polish roo lol. Here's are a few pictures :)

20201017_104417.jpg
IMG_20181116_093914.jpg
20191120_194002.jpg
20200711_115725.jpg

I also have an etsy shop where I make and sell hen saddles of all sizes and chicken tutus (believe it or not, people love them!)

s-l400 (1).jpg
20200726_173342.jpg

Welcome from Cambria County! Is your run roofed? If so, it's pretty easy to just throw some plastic up around the sides of the run or clear tarps/ shower curtains and throw some straw in the run for them to hunker down in on exceptionally cold days. That's all I do for mine. Always leave a gap near the top though for ventilation. Trapped air/moisture leads to frostbite. If your run is not covered, hourly someone else can give advice. My turkey run is not covered but I don't do anything special for them.

snailpenguin

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Hi everyone! I'm from Delaware County (just southwest of Philadelphia) and have 4 ladies gearing up for their first winter in a big coop we just built. (It was 5 chickens until yesterday, but a neighbor's dog broke into our backyard and mortally wounded our Ameracauna in front of my preschooler and toddler (big drama for our quiet suburban neighborhood! Still working out some big feelings over here...))

Reading through this thread--I'm pretty much a southerner by PA standards and we haven't seen real snow in what feels like ages--I was figuring on just keeping with plenty of deep litter pine shavings in the coop and closing the windows/extra vents aside from the eave ventilation. Think that's enough to keep 4 ladies warm in a 56 sq ft coop? We have a fully roofed run--south wall is the coop and somewhat protected on the west by our house. We live in the woods--so it cuts the wind, but also keeps things from fully warming up during the day sometimes.

Nice to get to know you all!

Top Bottom