Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

OMG, forgot to tell you all... I knew I was scheduled for surgery, so my last act of independence before surgery was to go to Kansas City to meet a farmer friend of mine for a new English Shepherd puppy. She used to have a farm in New York and was the breeder of my Mindy and Dillon. She moved to New Mexico about 5 years ago but we remained friends. She had a litter of pups with my girl and 3 other pups destined for the east coast . I agreed to be the transport person rather than have them all go by plane. I met her Monday night in KC to swap off the pups and she had brought along a group of bottle lambs that couldnt be left at the farm. OMG! cuteness! I got to help do their midnight bottle feeding, one little girl was only about 3 lbs and so, so, so adorable! I cuddled her under my jacket while she fed and then left her their when feeding a little boy who was happy to bounce around on the grass. Was a great pick me up before the long drive back to Erie Pa where I handed off the other pups to a New York dairy farmer who was the next leg of the pups journey east. 2 days, 2000 miles and 4 roudy pups... all worth it to get this girl home.
Kendra, the new addition...
20210519_120625.jpg

Attachments

• 20210519_154736.jpg
    20210519_154736.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 3
I didn’t realize you were actually a brand new member! :woot :welcome
We would love to know more about you! What do you have, and what can we talk you into?!
View attachment 2687443View attachment 2687444View attachment 2687445View attachment 2687446View attachment 2687447View attachment 2687449
What can you talk me into hahahahaha I LOVE THAT! We currently have a flock of 16 adult chickens and 4 chicks in the brooder. We have Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Olive Eggers, Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, an Easter Egger and in the brooder we have 2 Ameracaunas and 2 White Leghorns! We are trying to get all the colors of the eggs, my kids and I love the chickens!
My wife is a school teacher, I own a garage door sales and service company and a food plot seed company and am a Marine Corps Veteran.
I am an avid outdoorsman and my family and I are several years into the whole homesteading hobby and we love it, so rewarding. We absolutely love the chickens and our garden which last year we canned for the first time and had a blast!

:clap That is great! It sounds like you need some gamebirds. Turkeys are of course great for the fall, and I also recommend Coturnix quail. Quail have a lot of different egg colors and patterns. The eggs taste just like chicken eggs, and are great for salads, snacking and pickling. If you just said, “Ugh! I hate pickled eggs!” I can suggest you try jalapeño “hot” pickled eggs. There’s a recipe that just has a little kick with jalapeños in the brine, and a great one that is heavy on the hot sauce.

How is everyone adjusting to her?
Slow and steady, Mindy is worried the pup will break rules, lol and Dillon is afraid she will sneak some of his food. All are steadily improving and Mindy is getting protective of her.
Is Kendra broody too?
LOL, not yet, too early to determine if she will be a good candidate. My farmer/breeder friend (Tish) waits till they are 2 yrs old before deciding if they are ok for breeding. It is all about good hips and good livestock traits, and those take time to determine. If she passes all of the tests Tish will help me find a good Male somewhere on the east coast to balance out her traits.
:clap That is great! It sounds like you need some gamebirds. Turkeys are of course great for the fall, and I also recommend Coturnix quail. Quail have a lot of different egg colors and patterns. The eggs taste just like chicken eggs, and are great for salads, snacking and pickling. If you just said, “Ugh! I hate pickled eggs!” I can suggest you try jalapeño “hot” pickled eggs. There’s a recipe that just has a little kick with jalapeños in the brine, and a great one that is heavy on the hot sauce.
Ah, the queen enabler strikes again! We love it! Where are all of your mini livestock pics? I love those!

Back
Top Bottom