Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone order the 15 chick layer package from McMurray? It looks like a fun way to get a broad assortment of different breeds. Looks like most of them are the bigger birds, which is my preference.
It looks good. I heard McMurray has a very good reputation. I'm picky and only wants friendly chickens, so it wouldn't work for me. But if you just want eggs and meat, it's a good choice.

I just love to see Pepsi's face when she wants to play. Can you tell that she is asking: are you ready to play?

1673974214883.png

She's so adorable! She reminds me of the sweet black ameraucana I had. She loved to cuddle up. She would close her eyes and just soak up the love :)
Ameraucanas (and Easter Eggers with the same look) are perennial favorites as pet chickens. I tell everyone that the Legbars are better layers of blue egg, but there is something about the face of an Ameraucana that makes everyone want at least one in their coop. I get it too, I have like 6 or 7 kinds of Ameraucanas and have only stop breeding one color in all the years I've had them, they are sort of addictive. I think Ameraucanas may be the "salted caramel" of the chicken world.

She's so adorable! She reminds me of the sweet black ameraucana I had. She loved to cuddle up. She would close her eyes and just soak up the love :)
If I remember correctly, that was Candy's grandma. Candy loved to cuddle too. Actually, all my Ameraucanas from Dennis will cuddle. Water was skittish when she was a baby, but she loves to cuddle now. Pepsi is very different. She sometimes will cuddle, but most time she just wants to play. She is always busy running around and checks what is everybody doing. Pepsi really acts like a puppy, not a chicken.

Ameraucanas (and Easter Eggers with the same look) are perennial favorites as pet chickens. I tell everyone that the Legbars are better layers of blue egg, but there is something about the face of an Ameraucana that makes everyone want at least one in their coop. I get it too, I have like 6 or 7 kinds of Ameraucanas and have only stop breeding one color in all the years I've had them, they are sort of addictive. I think Ameraucanas may be the "salted caramel" of the chicken world.

Not just their look. All the Ameraucanas from you are super friendly! Their are the best pets that lay blue eggs. Legbars are very beautiful too, but they are much more skittish. Of course, 2 out of 4 olive eggers, who have Legbar gene, from you love to cuddle too. I don't know if that from the welsummer part or not. Boo the olive egger is the only mean one who hates puffy cheeks. She pulled my Faverolle's beard off and pined her down to peck her. I suspect she's the one also attacked Water and pull some her face feather off. Fortunately, my silver Welbar who's the head hen would stop her if Boo pined any other chickens down.

Anyone order the 15 chick layer package from McMurray? It looks like a fun way to get a broad assortment of different breeds. Looks like most of them are the bigger birds, which is my preference.
Ive never tried ordering from a hatchery. So I am no help there. If you do, let us know how it goes. Good luck!!
We havent run into anyone local with what we are looking for.
Will most likely pick some chicks up this spring at the local TSC or feed stores.
Much rather get from breeder, but travel and time dictates ...although even DH has mention a couple times about getting the incubator out....omgosh..hahaa, that on top of seed growing and garden starting.
Well, why not? we are gluttons for punishment!! :pop

Ive never tried ordering from a hatchery. So I am no help there. If you do, let us know how it goes. Good luck!!
We havent run into anyone local with what we are looking for.
Will most likely pick some chicks up this spring at the local TSC or feed stores.
Much rather get from breeder, but travel and time dictates ...although even DH has mention a couple times about getting the incubator out....omgosh..hahaa, that on top of seed growing and garden starting.
Well, why not? we are gluttons for punishment!! :pop
Be careful with the TSC. One of my colleague bought 6 Easter egger pullets at the State College TSC, and found that 4 of them are roos.

If I remember correctly, that was Candy's grandma. Candy loved to cuddle too.

I believe you're right. I was heartbroken the day she didn't come back home. She had a habit of disappearing in to the woods. I'm assuming she had a secret nest out there. I never did find her, she just vanished :( I still have one of her grand (or great grand) daughters. Crow looks identical and CAN be sweet... when she chooses... but definitely not when she's nesting lol. We named her Crow because she would sneak in to the screen porch to lay her eggs but more than once, she would be sitting on a railing, we'd look out the window and thought a big crow was sitting there lol

Back
Top Bottom