Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Moved 192 chicken eggs and 169 quail eggs into the hatchers tonight!
And set 290 quail eggs.
OMgosh Dennis, that is awesome!

Not trying to put my beak into the business, but we have personally spent the extra $$ :th for pullets from a breeder. It has been worth it!!
I was not ready to have chicks in our area at the time, pullets are "easier" too.
Though I do understand the entirety of the situation, what you put into growing chicks out, we have done that.
Do it with Cornish often.
Not to mention what I am getting, sooo, not trying to sway you one way or the other when it comes to growing birds out.
That is definitely more time & money for you, but then you can demand more, lots more, for your "handling" time.
Those people are getting the "ready now" version of chicken keeping and they know it, they will pay for it.
Just my two cents into the whole idea.:D

Alright! Gosling pictures! This is when they were super little. 20220527_175933.jpg
You can see a baby sorta peeking out under Mama's wing (her name is Brunhilde but I call her Bruni for short)

20220527_180801.jpg 20220527_180952.jpg 20220527_181055.jpg 20220527_181405.jpg 20220527_181956.jpg 20220527_182001.jpg

I'll do another post with pictures of when they're older once I find those. (here's hoping it did what I asked and inserted the thumbnail only!)

OMgosh Dennis, that is awesome!

Not trying to put my beak into the business, but we have personally spent the extra $$ :th for pullets from a breeder. It has been worth it!!
I was not ready to have chicks in our area at the time, pullets are "easier" too.
Though I do understand the entirety of the situation, what you put into growing chicks out, we have done that.
Do it with Cornish often.
Not to mention what I am getting, sooo, not trying to sway you one way or the other when it comes to growing birds out.
That is definitely more time & money for you, but then you can demand more, lots more, for your "handling" time.
Those people are getting the "ready now" version of chicken keeping and they know it, they will pay for it.
Just my two cents into the whole idea.:D
Honestly, I personally wouldn't mind growing out pullets, yes they're more work but they're a lot of fun. And I know I can sell them a bit easier (and for more money) than chicks because of what you said! Which... my mother is saying she wants some Copper Marans so @dheltzel I'll be messaging you shortly.

@dheltzel Love your new webpage. However, I was looking through it and I don't see the banty ameracaunas. You still have them, right?
Yes, they are in "rebuild mode" this year after having a terrible time getting fertile eggs last year and only raising 3 cockerels and 1 pullet. They get a mention on my Projects page. I don't expect to have many at all this year, but who knows what might happen. I replaced my old cocks with the 3 young cockerels and am hopeful . . .

Yes, they are in "rebuild mode" this year after having a terrible time getting fertile eggs last year and only raising 3 cockerels and 1 pullet. They get a mention on my Projects page. I don't expect to have many at all this year, but who knows what might happen. I replaced my old cocks with the 3 young cockerels and am hopeful . . .
They are always on my "someday" list. I can wait until you rebuild as long as they are still a possibility. Also hoping for a Silkie LF Amercauna someday.

Has anyone here ever gotten chicks from the Mill in Germansville? It's a feed store up north in Lehigh county (a little bit of a drive for me since I'm farther south, but not bad). They have a big "Chick Days" event in April with a great breed selection.

I got four chicks there in '21 - all different breeds. Two are great (the cuckoo marans and olive egger), but my husband calls the other two "dud chickens." The Jersey Giant isn't giant - she never grew bigger than a standard size, & she lays smallish eggs. & the Cream Legbar seems fine & healthy, but hasn't laid an egg since mid-July. We only got eggs from her for about 5 months total.

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten chicks from there before, and if it's common to get "duds?" I'm making plans for this spring, & wondering if I should try it again or look elsewhere.

Has anyone here ever gotten chicks from the Mill in Germansville? It's a feed store up north in Lehigh county (a little bit of a drive for me since I'm farther south, but not bad). They have a big "Chick Days" event in April with a great breed selection.

I got four chicks there in '21 - all different breeds. Two are great (the cuckoo marans and olive egger), but my husband calls the other two "dud chickens." The Jersey Giant isn't giant - she never grew bigger than a standard size, & she lays smallish eggs. & the Cream Legbar seems fine & healthy, but hasn't laid an egg since mid-July. We only got eggs from her for about 5 months total.

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten chicks from there before, and if it's common to get "duds?" I'm making plans for this spring, & wondering if I should try it again or look elsewhere.
I'm not familiar with that feed store since that's not my neck of the woods, but I've never run into any duds before. 👀 Did you contact the feed mill and let them know what happened?

@dheltzel what ever happened with that silkie feathered ameraucana that hatched last year? Did it survive and grow out? I've had multiple requests lately. I'm still waiting for my old silkie feathered hen to start laying again.

Back
Top Bottom