Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

We have had foxes come in the yard during the day when we were in the yard. They can be very bold. When it decided to run did it take off quickly or was it still seeming unconcerned?

So...this is worrying me a little. Does it sound like rabid fox behavior?

A fox crossed the driveway right in front of my daughter as she was going out to the bus stop (6:45am - early, but pretty light already). She said it barely looked at her, & it was "mangy." 5 minutes later, my son was walking up to catch his own bus. Our big dog was sitting in the yard, watching him go. The dog came in, & right as I shut the door behind him, a fox attacked our chicken run, about 40ft. away from the house. It was just jumping & crashing into the fence. My son ran back down, waving & yelling. I ran out, waving & yelling. The fox stopped & looked at us, but didn't run until the dog was almost on top of it. Then it took off into the bushes, & I haven't seen it since.

We're all fine. The chickens are fine, the kids are fine, & I'm fine. I was worried that the dog may have caught up to the fox in the bushes, but I can't find a mark on him. Also, he's up-to-date on all his shots.

However, I'm worried that the fox is not fine. I've never seen one bold or desperate enough to attack while people and/or dogs were close by. I've never dealt with a rabid animal, but I'm wondering.
It sounds like Sarcoptic Mange:
Sarcoptic mange is the name for the skin disease caused by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite. The mites are microscopic and can’t be seen by the naked eye. Female Sarcoptes mites burrow under the skin and leave a trail of eggs behind. This burrowing creates an inflammatory response in the skin similar to an allergic reaction. The motion of the mite in and on the skin is extremely itchy, as is the hatching of the eggs. This creates a further allergic reaction and more itching, loss of sleep and reduced immune response. Loss of fur, scaly skin and a general unthrifty appearance is characteristic of a Sarcoptic mange infestation. The condition worsens as a skin infection sets in. The foxes immune system is even more compromised and internal parasites (tape, hook and roundworms) begin to take over and absorb any nutrients that fox may find. Mangy foxes are usually starving in the late stages.

These foxes are not a threat to people, dogs, cats, etc. They are close to people and buildings because there may be easy food such as cat or dog food left out in dishes, bird seed, garbage, insects, worms, roadkill and a mouse or two. They are also losing their ability to thermoregulate and need protection from wind, shade, sun, whatever the present need of the body is. Mangy foxes (and coyotes) often seek out a pile of hay to lay in. Hay seems to relieve the itchiness and provide a source of comfort.

For those animals that get heavily infected, it’s a nightmare. Heavy fur loss is soon to follow. You’ll see a thick crust forming on the surface of their skin, which is parasitic waste from all the mites.

All of this causes incredible itchiness that can almost drive an animal mad. Animals who are intensely infected will be seen wandering around during the daytime, even in cold weather.

Death can even result from mange, though primarily through other means. For instance, an infected fox could easily starve or freeze to death while wandering and seeking escape from the non-stop itching and burning.

http://www.foxwoodwildliferescue.org/

It sounds like Sarcoptic Mange:
Sarcoptic mange is the name for the skin disease caused by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite. The mites are microscopic and can’t be seen by the naked eye. Female Sarcoptes mites burrow under the skin and leave a trail of eggs behind. This burrowing creates an inflammatory response in the skin similar to an allergic reaction. The motion of the mite in and on the skin is extremely itchy, as is the hatching of the eggs. This creates a further allergic reaction and more itching, loss of sleep and reduced immune response. Loss of fur, scaly skin and a general unthrifty appearance is characteristic of a Sarcoptic mange infestation. The condition worsens as a skin infection sets in. The foxes immune system is even more compromised and internal parasites (tape, hook and roundworms) begin to take over and absorb any nutrients that fox may find. Mangy foxes are usually starving in the late stages.

These foxes are not a threat to people, dogs, cats, etc. They are close to people and buildings because there may be easy food such as cat or dog food left out in dishes, bird seed, garbage, insects, worms, roadkill and a mouse or two. They are also losing their ability to thermoregulate and need protection from wind, shade, sun, whatever the present need of the body is. Mangy foxes (and coyotes) often seek out a pile of hay to lay in. Hay seems to relieve the itchiness and provide a source of comfort.

For those animals that get heavily infected, it’s a nightmare. Heavy fur loss is soon to follow. You’ll see a thick crust forming on the surface of their skin, which is parasitic waste from all the mites.

All of this causes incredible itchiness that can almost drive an animal mad. Animals who are intensely infected will be seen wandering around during the daytime, even in cold weather.

Death can even result from mange, though primarily through other means. For instance, an infected fox could easily starve or freeze to death while wandering and seeking escape from the non-stop itching and burning.

http://www.foxwoodwildliferescue.org/
Yeah I was going to say it sounds like a desparate mangy fox. I had a mangy fox attack when I first got chickens, and that fox did not run away until I was right up near it. I got rid of it by installing electric around the coop.

Yeah I was going to say it sounds like a desparate mangy fox. I had a mangy fox attack when I first got chickens, and that fox did not run away until I was right up near it. I got rid of it by installing electric around the coop.
Yeah, electric fence is the best protection! last year, two foxes wiped out almost all the chickens in our neighborhood. I lost two chickens in day time, even though I did see it. We installed electric fence around the chicken area and no fox ever came back.

My friend thought I wanted chicks for Easter. :he I am not happy about this. I know two are Sapphires. They can’t remember what the other two breeds are. 49767AE3-B0BE-4D7D-BB49-E60C892986D6.jpeg
Three look like cockerels. None are allowed on this street (in between two cow fields), and…
Well, there are chicks in a trailer.
Don’t worry, there are several people who will step in when they get bigger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom